Lower layer rough, but smooths out.

buddybu

Posted · Lower layer rough, but smooths out.

I am using a heavily modified anet A8.  This is a new problem that might be a lead screw problem.  My first layers, like the first 20 have very rough walls, but after that they smooth out.  Any thoughts of where I might look in cura or my hardware?  I have just calibrated the extruder e steps as well as making sure that the manual bed leveling is almost perfect. I have attached a picture of what I am seeing.

17120083057574877921857565423895.jpg

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that might cause that in Cura is if you had a modifier mesh on the bottom section with fuzzy walls turned on, and that one's pretty hard to do accidentally.

Is it a time based thing (if you print something smaller more layers are affected) or layer based (it doesn't matter if you're printing a marble or a basketball, the same number of layers are affected)?

It sounds like a hardware problem either way (which one of those might just give you a clue where to look) as if the E steps were wrong, the whole thing would be affected, and if the bed wasn't level you'd be more likely to have adhesion problems (or if it was only off a little bit, then the effect would be slanted, not flat like that).

Unfortunately when it comes to hardware for heavily modifier printers - or a stock version of yours - I can't really help you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to be the same number of layers, and I don't have any sort of fuzzy mesh on the lower layers.  I will keep trouble shooting the problem.  Thanks!

I would suggest to make sure your bed is as perfectly level as humanly possible (even if you have ABL, that's only designed to account for small variations) and that your Z offset is dialed in as best you can.

Not that it looks like either of those things, especially since it's an instant change between fuzzy and good instead of gradual, but it's the best I can think of. I'm just out of other ideas :) 

So, it turns out it was the filament and the layer being printed.  I am seeing the exact same thing on another printer.  Thanks for the helpful replies!  I really mean it, no sarcasm.  You guys were positive and had some good suggestions.

9 hours ago, buddybu said:

Thanks for the helpful replies!  I really mean it, no sarcasm.

Don't worry, I know exactly how hard it is to say something isn't sarcastic without sounding sarcastic. Especially since a large amount of what I say is sarcastic. But I'm happy you solved your problem (if I didn't get a kick out of helping people, I wouldn't be spending the unhealthy amount of time I do around here).