How to insert a "wall" into a print

PCLoadPLA

Posted · How to insert a "wall" into a print

Suppose I want to print a simple cube. Cura will slice it to have specified bottom, top, and walls, and infill.

Now suppose I want to stack two cubes on top of each other...but I still want to print a "top" layer in between the cubes. The reason is that maybe I want to cut the two cubes apart later, so having that partition wall in between them is desired.

Sometimes I want to be able to cut parts apart, or sometimes I want to insert such a partition wall for strength, etc. is there a way?

I have considered  slicing the two parts and literally copy-pasting the gcode together, but I'm thinking there is a better way than that. 

Posted (edited) · How to insert a "wall" into a print

One way to do this would be to add a support blocker, adjust the size so it occupies the part you want to be solid, and then use the per-model settings (cutting mesh) to print that area at 100% infill, causing it to be printed solid.

Edited by PizzaTijd

My regular PC is out of commission at the moment (since when did motherboards start requiring two 8 pin ATX connectors, and why can't Amazon get it to me next day when I order only 12 minutes after the cutoff time for next day delivery?).

Anyway, rant over. Turn off Mesh Fixes > Union Overlapping Volumes.

Speaking of that, how do I actually connect two meshes in Cura? If I try to drop a cube on top of a cube, Cura instead automatically moves it to the side. How do I get Cura to let me overlap meshes before slicing?

I'm not sure I've ever had a problem with that. I just open the move tool, turn off Drop Down Model and then either enter the values or just drag my objects around by the arrows:

image.png.b7c10755a00258b1bb1080f3f757dac5.png

image.thumb.png.d4acb3d7b4e649e35f425f6e2523d083.png

If you're going to turn off Drop Down Model, remember to manually set the Z position to 0 if you want it to be on the build plate.

My cura 5.6 doesn't let me do that. It always springs the meshes apart automatically. Drop down model doesn't make a difference. 

5 hours ago, PCLoadPLA said:

My cura 5.6 doesn't let me do that. It always springs the meshes apart automatically. Drop down model doesn't make a difference. 

You might have "Ensure models are kept apart" turned on in your preferences. I'm on 5.7, but as long as this is tick box is unticked I can just clip models through eachother without any issues.

• Like 1