Is it possible to only print an outline of a solid shape?

Maqea
Go to solution Solved by PizzaTijd,

Posted (edited) · Is it possible to only print an outline of a solid shape?

At Thingiverse I found a "reversed" Cookie cutter collection. I wonder if it is possible and, in that case, how to slice it with Cura? I print with an Ender 3 pro and using Cura 5.6.0.

I copy the description from the collection to here
"Print only the outline of the cutter so switch off all fill setting in your slicer. A rather rough layer height setting will do. 2 layer shells will produce a fine cutter. I sliced mine in Netfabb for Ultimaker where I added 3 extra shell layers to the bottom 3mm's of the cookie cutter (using the Regions option in Netfabb) giving it a bit more strength." by MaakMijnIdee at Thingiverse

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:35495

Edited by Maqea

Posted · Is it possible to only print an outline of a solid shape?

If you're in the basic print settings view, just turn Infill Density down to 0% and the top/bottom shell to 0mm:

image.png.db30062d4bde6b5e91a670e0c6b6b61d.png

If you're in the custom view, go to the Top/Bottom section and set Top/Bottom Thickness to 0mm:

image.png.a7dc7afa0fb61ecfe63be46c5032434f.png

then go to the Infill section and turn Infill Density down to 0%:

image.png.4996cea4cb9870edf0ba87ab4742d782.png

Thank you for the  answer Slashee_the_Cow. Unfortunately, that does not work.

That still builds the walls towards the centre and that destroys the shape of the Cookie Cutter. Of course I can redo my cookie cutters and make them as the cutter from Tschojo but I like to learn if there is a way to co what I want with the settings in Cura. If there is a way to make a wall surrounding the item/model. Using the model as what will be the hole in the cookie cutter.

I made some screen prints to try and show what I mean.
    First the shapes I like to make mini cookie cutters from. This is the idea MaakMijnIdee described.
    Then with the Thickness and the infill set to 0. This build walls inward and that destroys the shape.
    Last I tried the Spiralize Outer Contour and that is the closest I got only the walls will be too thin.

I added a picture from Thingiverse to show a cookie cutter.
    I borrowed it from Tschojo. The print is Creative Cookie Cutters ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:38665)

One.png

Two.png

Three.png

Elephant_display_large.jpg

• Solution

The "Mold" feature under 'Special Modes' might be of use here (it's hidden by default in the printer settings). It'll only print walls that are directly outside of your model - allowing you to literally use it as a mold for your model. Only difference is that instead of using it to cast a part, you'll be using it to cut dough.

The default thickness on my end was 5mm, which may be a tad much for a cookie cutter, but you can just tweak that and the wall angle to whatever you need it to be.

Edited by PizzaTijd

Okay, try this: If you're using the basic settings, then set Shell Thickness for the walls to 0.4:

image.png.98d8f268a7197b593dd5b55967de9942.png

If it's using the normal profiles for Creality printers that should be one wall. Or in the custom settings, you can go to the Walls section and set Wall Line Count to 1:

image.png.c0f053816cc6d99eb2edc88f79fafe91.png

That makes sure that no matter what your line width is, it will only make 1 wall. Notice how the Wall Thickness option goes grey because it gets overridden by the line count.

If you want it to be one wall but as thick as possible: ignore the basic settings, set the line wall count to 1 like above, and then in the Quality section of the settings set Line Width to 0.6mm. If you can't find the setting, just search for it:

image.png.d3c9225f6b801f1ea117c25ed0834245.png

0.6mm is about as wide as you can reliably do with a 0.4mm nozzle (which is what most printers come with).

If that's not thick enough, you can use a combination of the line width (don't set it below 0.25mm) and wall count to get it exactly how you want it. Try to go for a few wider lines instead of several thin ones if you can.

If that doesn't get it how you want, it'd be great if you could share your Cura project file (.3mf, in Cura get it set up then go to File > Save Project) and we could have a look at it.

As a quick addition to the mold thing, I downloaded their models real quick and tested the mold feature on them; it seems to work flawlessly

Pre-slice:

image.thumb.png.046ee616ed0d094481ef05e72297a1c9.png

Post-slice:

image.thumb.png.f56ce42128fb5aa9aa09aca7aa8163ff.png

Specific settings: mold is on, mold thickness 3mm, mold angle set to 90°

Edit: and in case of that skull model you have in one of your screenshots, it should also create walls to cut out the eyes. I can't find the model for it, so I can't test it myself, but if it doesn't print anything for the eyes to attach to, move your model up a couple mm (make sure to turn off "drop down model"), and it'll create a bottom that they will be attached to.

Edited by PizzaTijd

Thank you for your answers. The mold setting did the trick. I need to tweak a tiny bit to get the print exactly as I like but on the whole that was the answer.

PizzaTijd: The scull is not from that collection. I included it to see how it worked with the eyes and nose. It will not be usable in a print with the others (as I like those to have a hole straight through)  but that is OK. It was only added to learn from.