Wanhao Duplicator S4 not heating extruder

Posted · Wanhao Duplicator S4 not heating extruder

Hi. 
I recently bought my first 3D printer, Wanhao Duplicator S4, but haven't gotten it to work yet. Atm i'm stuck at the extruder not heating in any way (currently it's by default set up as a single extruder printer, which is fine in the beginning). 
This is the default G-Code:

Start G-Code

G21 ;metric values

G90 ;absolute positioning

M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode

M107 ;start with the fan off

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops

G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops

G1 Z15.0 F{speed_travel} ;move the platform down 15mm

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length

G1 F200 E6 ;extrude 6 mm of feed stock

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

G1 F{speed_travel}

;Put printing message on LCD screen

M117 Printing...

End G-Code

M104 S0 ;extruder heater off

G91 ;relative positioning

G1 E-1 F300 ;retract the filament a bit before lifting the nozzle, to release some of the pressure

G1 Z+0.5 E-5 X-20 Y-20 F{speed_travel} ;move Z up a bit and retract filament even more

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops, so the head is out of the way

M84 ;steppers off

G90 ;absolute positioning

As far as I can understand, there's missing a heating command (M104) in the start. I've tried to write it in, but nothing happens. I don't know if I've messed up the sequence when trying so. Also, the bed is heating, but I don't see any commands for the that. Is that a default command by the printer?

You should look at the start of a gcode file you saved from Cura. If there's no temperature commands in the startup gcode it will insert them automatically so the printer doesn't try printing cold.

As for the temperature commands: you're right that they're not in there. At the very least you need a

M190 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for bed to heat up
    M109 S{material_print_temperature_layer_0} ; wait for hot end to heat up

in the startup code, before the G28.

The end code also has an M104 to turn off the hot end but it doesn't have a command for the bed, so you should add a

M140 S0

after the M104.

(I could rant about a lot of things in that start/end gcode, some of the profiles that come with Cura are a bit terrible, but the temperature is the main problem here)

Do the M190 and M109 commands need to go somewhere specific in the start sequence? I still get the same issue with how i tried. 

Also, considering that it is a dual extruder printer, could that be a part of the problem? As of now it hasn't had the second extruder defined, so i'm wondering if that might cause the printer to not being able to designate which extruder to use? Or does one of them automatically function as the main one?  

Put the M109 and M190 before the G28. Technically it makes a difference if you home when the bed is heated (it expands slightly), practically not a noticeable one... but I usually go for the "technically better" option.

Being a dual extruder could have something to do with it, so in the start gcode, as the first line, before everything else, put

T0

That tells it to do everything with the first tool (in this case the first extruder) until it receives a command to use a different one (which it shouldn't if it's only set up in Cura as single extruder).

Also if you look in machine settings, there's a tab for each extruder and they can have their own start and end gcode - is any of that set?