5.71 Not slicing

DazP
Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · 5.71 Not slicing

Hey All

I have just updated it to the latest release, but it will not slice anymore. It just hangs. I tried a few different models, but it has the same result.

I still have 5.4, and it slices, not a problem.

Any help is much appreciated.

2024-05-15 11_32_32-Mail.png

• Solution

If you are on a Windows system - right-click on the desktop icon and select "Run as Administrator".  That seems to work in some cases.

Try disabling automatic slicing and then just slice manually when you change settings - sometimes it can get caught up on one.

Also, if you could share an example of a Cura project (.3mf, in Cura set it up then go to File > Save Project) that works in 5.4 but not in 5.7.1, that could help us diagnose the problem.

Posted (edited) · 5.71 Not slicing

Run as Admin does not work for me. Eternally slicing, occasionally ending in a non-specific error. GPU goes to about 20% and CPU about the same. 
     Downgrading to 5.4 works fine for me and slices so fast it's not even a blip. 

I noticed that the models, even when not sliced, are dark grey like the original poster's picture without the red X. Not yellow as expected. When placed in invalid location they are yellow/lightgrey striped as expected. 

frank_telescope_filter_holder-cap.3mf

Edited by jestertoo

5 hours ago, jestertoo said:

I noticed that the models, even when not sliced, are dark grey like the original poster's picture without the red X. Not yellow as expected. When placed in invalid location they are yellow/lightgrey striped as expected. 

The colour the models are shown in in Prepare mode is based on the material you have selected. "Generic PLA" is yellow but you have a black filament selected (it shows dark grey because completely black would make it hard to see details). If I switch to a purple filament:

image.thumb.png.632f1b433c4b5eaa22880d1547241ea8.png

The dark grey in the centre is just part of Cura's shadow which displays the space it takes up on the build plate and not part of the model.

5 hours ago, jestertoo said:

Run as Admin does not work for me. Eternally slicing, occasionally ending in a non-specific error. GPU goes to about 20% and CPU about the same. 
     Downgrading to 5.4 works fine for me and slices so fast it's not even a blip. 

If you can try slicing it in a newer version, preferably getting it to end in a non-specific error, could you please do that and post the cura.log file from the configuration folder (just go to Help > Show Configuration Folder) then we can see if there's anything which can be figured out (and I'll be perfectly honest: don't count on a solution being in the log file, but small chance of seeing problem in log > not seeing log).

Thanks. I undertand now changing the material changes the color of the model. Neat. In 7 years of using Cura I had never changed the material before 5.7.1

I opened 5.7.1 again to try to generate the error and it successfully sliced the same model. Slicing took roughly 3x as long as 5.4. 

Here's the logfile from the timeframe today where I was having problems. 

cura.log