Could someone give me gcode/setting to help my prints to print fast with decent quality.

Go to solution Solved by GregValiant,

Posted · Could someone give me gcode/setting to help my prints to print fast with decent quality.
1 hour ago, arvidx said:

I know too little to judge so appreciate folks like you that have already absorbed so much of the sea of knowledge I've yet to begin to swim in!

Like a lot of things, knowing what you don't know means you know more a fair number of people 😄 

1 hour ago, arvidx said:

For whatever reason without something in the above code, with a file from cura at the very least, when a layer is finished, you can see it advance to the next layer then sit right back down.  Now that you gave me a nice convenient breakdown of the expected vs unexpected codes, I'll give it a more educated shot at narrowing it down.   

Since there's not a huge amount of code there you could just try a process of elimination - a semicolon ; at the start of a line of gcode should (at least on the printers I've seen that speak a known dialect of gcode) mark it as a comment, so the printer should ignore it. You could try commenting each line in turn to see which line (or lines, don't stop at the first hit you get) are the ones that make the difference. Just remember Slashee's Silver Rule™: Small scale testing is your friend. Just print a little cube or something that uses barely any filament so you don't go through a whole spool figuring this out. I've attached a little cube if that helps 🙂.

If you can narrow it down, then post here and we'll be happy to try figure out why it does that (or just assume it's a proprietary thing).

1 hour ago, arvidx said:

commands that didn't make sense but must have been proprietary to their firmware.

If they have their own slicing program which doesn't require you to unearth an ancient parchment from the tomb of a forgotten Egyptian king in order to get it working, I'd be curious if you could slice a simple model - like a little cube - in both that and Cura with the settings as close as possible to each other and post both gcode files I'd be interested in seeing what's different between the two.

1 hour ago, arvidx said:

this video was the first spot I found something, anything that was an actual answer instead of folks arguing that it must be zhop related (and no there was no zhop in the prints)

Let me guess: you were looking on Reddit? Never been to a Voxelab subreddit but I know /r/ender3 and /r/cura can be a bit brutal 🤕 Great motivation to use my more than ample free time to figure these things out. And then come here where we're usually pretty civilised instead of getting my voice drowned out.

cube 20mm.stl

Posted · Could someone give me gcode/setting to help my prints to print fast with decent quality.

ok... so get this...

If I slice a file for the aquila from Voxelmaker, it produces a .g file that looks pretty stardard fair for a .gcode file...

If I slice a file for the Aquila Pro....  I get a .gx file which when opened in notepad....  is an encoded executable looking file, file follows...

I will also try to do some fiddling with the opening gcode to see what triggers the proper motion to layer 2.  I have several projects going on so I apologize if there's time between responses.

So far as I can tell, the Aries printer from them was a totally closed system with this program and the Aquila Pro shares parts with that printer.

Due to file type I cannot upload it here without spoofing the file extension so here's a dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/0klvzrecaijomejs0vnau/cube-20mm-voxelmaker-aquila-pro.gx?rlkey=bzlcn8s5z75nht0gwvio113lo&dl=0

1 hour ago, arvidx said:

Due to file type I cannot upload it here without spoofing the file extension so here's a dropbox link

You can upload anything* if you put it in a zip file 🙂

*Within the file size limit

1 hour ago, arvidx said:

If I slice a file for the Aquila Pro....  I get a .gx file which when opened in notepad....  is an encoded executable looking file, file follows...

After the first 14.5kb it's just plain text gcode:

image.thumb.png.ebfe90752f235b14f0bfde2f0189078f.png

Looking at the binary data my guess would be it's a thumbnail.

Here’s a sample G-code snippet that adjusts speed and acceleration for faster prints:

M203 X500.00 Y500.00 Z12.00 E120.00 ; Set maximum feedrates (X, Y, Z, E)
    M201 X1000.00 Y1000.00 Z500.00 E5000.00 ; Set max acceleration (X, Y, Z, E)
    M204 P1500.00 R1500.00 T1500.00 ; Set printing, retract and travel accelerations
    M205 X10.00 Y10.00 Z0.40 E5.00 ; Set jerk (X, Y, Z, E)
    M220 S120 ; Increase print speed by 20% (you can adjust this percentage)

Don’t use the gcode @danielboss posted.

That code is not compatible with all printers, just ones running some flavours in the RepRap family, including Marlin.

Most printers will already have their limits set to their maximum possible, unless you have manually overridden them.

Many printers can not reach the limits posted and will just use the maximum speed they are capable of anyway.

Many printers can perform higher than those limits so by using that code you might actually slow down your printer.

Multiple commands that are in that list increase the chance your print will fail, those limits are there for a good reason to begin with.

Only two commands in that list will actually speed up your print as the printer should be following the speeds used in the gcode and I'm not telling you which two they are. One is practically guaranteed to reduce print quality and the other will very likely do it because it will affect your retractions, as well as printing faster.

Don't mess with gcode if you don't know what you're doing as it has the potential to damage your printer.

Most filament is intended to be printed at a certain speed which is usually labelled on the side of the spool.

Many printers are capable of printing at speeds that will negatively affect your print quality partially because Chinese printer manufacturers are in the middle of a big pissing contest to see who can print a Benchy the fastest and the speeds they can reach require specialty "high speed" filament.