Comparing Imported G-Code with Imported STL File

Go to solution Solved by Slashee_the_Cow,

Posted (edited) · Comparing Imported G-Code with Imported STL File

Hey there!

I stumbled upon a problem of my own making, as i printed a large STL file and only after it was finished, I realized that the bottom part of the print was cut off (I sliced it while a part of the modell was beneth surface). I decided to print the "below-surface-part" and glue it together. 

However: I did not save the file and what i am left with is:

• a a g-code-file with of erroneous print
  • b my original stl file

As i fumbled a lot with angle and orientation to generate a , file b is completely misaligned on its own - it is very difficult/nearly impossible to get the angle/z-axis correct.

My plan:

Loading file a into Cura (it worked - i can see what was printed in the Preview-Tab!) and align my original file b as good as i can (optically by hand) - so far so good in theory.

The problem is:

After loading File a into Cura, it disappears in the preview-tab after loading file b.

I can undestand why this is the case ( is a 3D model, a is only available as already-sliced the "preview" tab) - but is there a way to see both inthe "prepare" tab, so i can try my plan to align a with b ?

Thanks already 🙂 

Edited by Quantonamor

• Solution
    Posted · Comparing Imported G-Code with Imported STL File

Can't be done AFAIK 😞 Previewing a gcode file and setting up a print are basically separate modes in Cura.

Your best bet is probably to load the gcode, then on the menu bar select View > Camera View > Orthographic

Then select View > Camera Position > Front View and save a screenshot. Do the same for Left Side View and Bottom View.

Use these as reference images for setting up your new print. Make sure to leave the Camera View in Orthographic.

It helps if you have Cura open on one half of your screen and use the other half to look at the reference images so you don't have to keep going back and forth.

And most importantly... in future whenever you set up a print, when you save the gcode, save a Cura project file as well! Just go to File > Save Project and it'll save as a 3mf file. A Cura project file contains all your models, their positions as well as your print settings. If this happens again, you can just load the project file, duplicate the mesh, finagle it into position and delete the original one... or just move the original one, or whatever you need to do to fix your problem 🙂

3 minutes ago, Slashee_the_Cow said:

Can't be done AFAIK 😞 Previewing a gcode file and setting up a print are basically separate modes in Cura.

Your best bet is probably to load the gcode, then on the menu bar select View > Camera View > Orthographic

Then select View > Camera Position > Front View and save a screenshot. Do the same for Left Side View and Bottom View.

Use these as reference images for setting up your new print. Make sure to leave the Camera View in Orthographic.

It helps if you have Cura open on one half of your screen and use the other half to look at the reference images so you don't have to keep going back and forth.

And most importantly... in future whenever you set up a print, when you save the gcode, save a Cura project file as well! Just go to File > Save Project and it'll save as a 3mf file. A Cura project file contains all your models, their positions as well as your print settings. If this happens again, you can just load the project file, duplicate the mesh, finagle it into position and delete the original one... or just move the original one, or whatever you need to do to fix your problem 🙂

Thanks 🙂 I usually avoid saving 3mf files because my computer is slow and it takes a while 😅 Thanks for the tip with the Orthografic-Camera-View, (and the quick answer!) I'll try that

4 minutes ago, Quantonamor said:

I usually avoid saving 3mf files because my computer is slow and it takes a while 😅

Sorta like my rule whenever people need help with print settings and my answer includes "print at a lower speed" (sadly occurs far too often) - slow print > bad print.

Or in this case - wait a little while it saves a project file > spend 20 times as long trying to redo it manually.

I have a dumb idea... and it assumes you use. stndard layer height or known layer height in your gcode...

Load the gcode, and count the number of layers (should be easy to see in preview). Then load the STL, use the same layer height, and slice it. Subtract the number of layers from GCode and you should be really dang close. You'll need to account for the difference in top and bottom layer heights that are less (or more) that standard layers, but that shoudn't be more than a layer or two. 

@jaysenodell I'm pretty sure you missed this bit:

6 hours ago, Quantonamor said:

As i fumbled a lot with angle and orientation to generate a , file b is completely misaligned on its own - it is very difficult/nearly impossible to get the angle/z-axis correct.

It's not just a matter of layer, the transformations of the object need to be replicated.