Any way to set a Fill temperature change?

TJKez

Posted · Any way to set a Fill temperature change?

Trying to print ABS on Bowden and temps are tricky.

Assuming a baseline speed of 50mm/s e.g If I set temp to 235, it will print ok for the walls, but when it tries to do the fill the extruder slips and starts clicking.

Raise the temp allows the extruder to push the filament through during fill, but the rest of the print is messy.

With sensitive filament, the temperature sweet spot will change with the flow amount.

Is there any way to make it up the temperature just when printing the fill?

I don't think it can be done in Cura. A post-processing script could do it (although you'd spend AGES waiting for it to heat up and cool down at least twice a layer), but it sounds far more like a hardware issue. Unless the flow rate is different for the infill (can be changed in Quality > Infill Line Width, Infill > Infill Layer Thickness, Material > Infill Flow, Speed > Infill Speed and Speed > Enable Acceleration Control > Infill Acceleration, so make sure all those settings are the same as the walls) is different to the walls, it should print just as well.

I've printed ABS with a Bowden extruder and it went about as well as printing ABS goes in general (%#*@ing annoying). Your temperature seems pretty low though - I ran mine at about 255° (for the whole print).

You might want to try calibrating your E-steps, and I'd also make sure your plate is level and your Z offset is set correctly if it's having trouble only on certain parts of the print.

My favourite advice though? Don't bother with ABS unless you have a really, really good reason to. People say it's stronger than PLA, and it is, if you're mass producing parts using injection moulding, but for FDM printing about the tangible difference is that it's a bit less brittle than PLA. I don't think it's worth all the hassle - it barely adheres to itself, it warps if you so much as breathe in its direction while it's printing, and the fumes are poisonous.

I agree with Slashee, unless you for some reason absolutely have to use ABS you're probably better off with other materials. Even though I managed to get good prints with ABS most of the time, the hassle just isn't worth it. Apart from the fumes it also ate the TFM couplers in my printer with the high temps, and while I most of the time had good bed adhesion with glue stick I still never trusted it fully.

I use PLA for probably 90% of my projects. The only time I use something else is when I need flexible prints where I use PEBA-S or sometimes TPU, and prints that need to resist heat a bit better where I use PETG. As a last resort I'd probably try ASA, but I'm never going back to ABS unless I have to.

• Like 1

Sorry to off track a bit but I’m printing ABS for cnc fixtures. The milling generates a lot of heat the printed part needs to deal with. ABS is the norm (petg dissolves quickly). What other materials should be considered?

Others on the cnc side say it’s not worth the hassle/$$$ for anything other than abs…

@jaysenodell We're not saying "never use ABS". We're saying "only use ABS if you have a damn good reason to". Sounds like you have a damn good reason to. Just, you know, be careful of the fumes (I have a tent for my printer and actually set up a fan to pull the air out of the room whenever I open it after an ABS print.)