Ultimaker 2 Replacement board source guide

Posted · Ultimaker 2 Replacement board source guide

Hello! 
Everyone, I would like to know is there any third party motherboard compatible with Ultimaker 2 because I need to replace the board as I have issue with the board.
The Z-Axis is moving too fast and bang on the nozzle. I talked with Ultimaker support team in India and they have given the estimate cost of UM2 board 450USD. For this price I am bit confuse because I can place a order for Voron 2.4 instead of spending that money to buy a replacement board or looking for alternative compatible board. If you have any idea of compatible board, please do let me know.
Thank You!

Is it possible you have the wrong firmware on your board? If you've got UM2X firmware on a UM2 board (the same board is used) the bed will crash into the head when it homes because it's expecting to have another 4 inches of space to move in.

• Like 1

I don't think so, it's a firmware problem. I have try to update the firmware on my UM2 still same issue.
    When I connect my printer to Cura via USB and move the Z-Axis by 1mm it move more then that. No able to figure out the actual issue because when I can connected the extruder motor to in place of z axis it was working fine.
    Some times the printer work fine and some times Z-Axis move too fast.

Also do "reset to factory settings".  It's in the menu.  whenever you change firmware it can mess up things particularly if you don't install a newer version.  If you install the same version, a sideways version, or an older version you need to do "reset to factory settings".  This is the kind of thing that can be messed up.  z axis steps/mm or z axis height.

Can you show a video?  I want to see what you mean.  It's very rare that the z axis goes faster than normal.  That usually is a firmware issue.

In addition, there is a very common issue where people plug a fan into the center of the bottom of the board.  If you look carefully and read what it says there, that controls the z sub stepping setting.  You don't want anything on that connector - those 2 pins sticking out should be bare - no connectors, no cables.

It is also possible that your z stepper is broken or faulty but in that case it might go *down* faster than normal but not *up* as you describe it hitting the nozzle.

On 7/22/2024 at 12:17 AM, fbrc8-erin said:

Can you provide a video of what you're seeing with the printer?

I am not getting the link the upload the video here so sharing my drive link and set the access to everyone with the link.

In the first link, you can check I have connected the UM2 with USB and moving the Z-Axis by 10mm after that I set the Z-Axis to move at 1mm
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/11ckojbDsHoJUMDSUyxgKYOMeNIKDkKGS/view?usp=drive_link

In below, drive link you can check when I set the UM2 to raise the build plate. How fasts its moving and hitting the nozzle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11e3XZRkiqb-ykWspWXxxz6fGSGbyAu-D/view?usp=drive_link

On 7/21/2024 at 7:00 AM, gr5 said:

Also do "reset to factory settings".  It's in the menu.  whenever you change firmware it can mess up things particularly if you don't install a newer version.  If you install the same version, a sideways version, or an older version you need to do "reset to factory settings".  This is the kind of thing that can be messed up.  z axis steps/mm or z axis height.

Can you show a video?  I want to see what you mean.  It's very rare that the z axis goes faster than normal.  That usually is a firmware issue.

In addition, there is a very common issue where people plug a fan into the center of the bottom of the board.  If you look carefully and read what it says there, that controls the z sub stepping setting.  You don't want anything on that connector - those 2 pins sticking out should be bare - no connectors, no cables.

It is also possible that your z stepper is broken or faulty but in that case it might go *down* faster than normal but not *up* as you describe it hitting the nozzle.

I have done the factory reset and tried to update the firmware but it's showing firmware updated but when I check the version it was same as installed earlier. For reference attaching the picture of version that is installed on my UM2.
    Replace the Z-end stop but still same issue.

In the first link, you can check I have connected the UM2 with USB and moving the Z-Axis by 10mm after that I set the Z-Axis to move at 1mm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11ckojbDsHoJUMDSUyxgKYOMeNIKDkKGS/view?usp=drive_link

In below, drive link you can check when I set the UM2 to raise the build plate. How fasts its moving and hitting the nozzle.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11e3XZRkiqb-ykWspWXxxz6fGSGbyAu-D/view?usp=drive_link

IMAG4156.jpg

IMAG4157.jpg

That is extremely bizarre. I would not print via USB. The USB on the back of the UM2 is only intended for firmware updates.  Have you tried a factory reset? 

Do you have any other third party parts installed? I can see the nozzle isn't the original one.

I have done the factory reset and tried to update the firmware 

You have to do the factory reset *after* you update any firmware.

I've never seen the z axis move that fast.  Something is strange.  Something I've never seen before and I've seen UM2 printers doing strange things on this forum hundreds of times over many years.

Since you are issuing commands through USB, you can query the printer settings and it will tell you the steps/mm for every axis.  I think it's M503?  I'm curious what it says.  I don't know what it's supposed to be - I think maybe 533 steps/mm.

On 7/25/2024 at 10:45 PM, fbrc8-erin said:

That is extremely bizarre. I would not print via USB. The USB on the back of the UM2 is only intended for firmware updates.  Have you tried a factory reset? 

Do you have any other third party parts installed? I can see the nozzle isn't the original one.

I used to print it by sd card, usb I connected to check the printer.
    It is OLSSON Block upgrade that is why nozzle is different.

Agree with you, the problem is strange, first time when this problem occur, I reset the setting and after that run a 11 hour print it was working fine. Next day I will try to print the same issue occur and till now, I am unable to identify or solve this issue.