Weird Ultimater S3 problem with the filament tube

Posted · Weird Ultimater S3 problem with the filament tube

Hey.

So I started having this problem recently where prints wouldn’t finish printing because the filament would pull itself out of the filament feeder, and move outside the feeder tube indefinitely. I have tried to change the clips that hold the filament tube feeder closed, added strong tape. Nothing works!

I cannot even for the life of me pull the filament plastic tube feeder by force after making it sit tightly with the plastic clip,  It definitely is not loose! BUT the printer has no problem in doing that itself. Everytime! 

It is the left print head that has this problem… the feeder tube doesn’t seem broken. Maybe something is broken with the feeder itself and the motor?

I have not encountered upon googling anyone else with a similar problem. I am pretty sure that the right extruder and tube has no problem as it has not given me any similar problems.

IMG_5353.jpeg

IMG_5354.jpeg

IMG_5352.jpeg

IMG_5351.jpeg

The white ring part I think is called a "collet".  Inside the collet are 4 metal blades.  They are sharp.  Once this has failed once, it will fail many times because either one (or more) of the 4 blades is bent the wrong way or because the outside of the bowden has been partly scraped away so:

1) Cut off about 3mm of the end of the bowden. This way the blades inside the collet can bite into fresh bowden.

2) Inspect the 4 blades using a magnifying glass or reading glasses.  If any of them look bent differently, try replacing the collet.  You should be able to get some collets from your reseller.

Usually #1 is enough.

Thanks. I did not think of this as a possibility. I am not going back to work for a few weeks so won’t be able to test it out yet. Thanks for the help!

If you end up ordering a collet, while waiting for it, it's perfectly okay to slice all your prints using the right side print core (assuming it's a single filament print).

Oh!  I thought it was the print head.  If it's the feeder then yes rotate the collet slightly as well so the gap doesn't line up with that rib.