Strange sound when printing

urbanshark
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

• Solution
Posted · Strange sound when printing

🙂Yeah, pretty noisy. I've heard just as noisy Ultimaker printers that printed fine for another 1000 hours.  Of course a new printer should never sound that way.  But you can probably ignore it as long as the noise isn't driving you crazy.

1) How old is this printer? You can see many hours of printing each print core has completed in the menu system for the print cores.  I'm curious how many hours.  I'm going to guess at least 2000 hours.  Although you may have replaced the print cores already but if you still have the old ones you can stick an old one in and check it's hours as well.

I think it's only the Y axis that makes the noise.  When it looks like only the X axis is moving, I think the part being printed has a very small amount of Y motion as well due to the tilt of the part or the part's wall or a curvature of the wall or some such thing related to the model or the rotation of the model.

2) Have you ever oiled the gantry?  The 2 thinner rods theoretically never need oiling and oil can actually mess up the bearings but people have found improvements with the tiniest amount of oil on those thin rods.  The 4 thick rods all should be oiled several times per year. You can use any mineral oil (don't use food oils like butter that will go rancid!) but light oils are preferred such as "sewing machine oil" or "3 in 1 oil" but even heavier oils like 10W30 should be fine.  Even baby oil should be fine but the smell would bother me personally.

@fbrc8-erin - do you know what is making these sounds?  Does he need new belts maybe?

• Like 1

Belts or possibly strain on the rods. It's an unusual one--the belts usually tick when they're getting on in age. You can hear that noise at the start of this video: 

There's a groaning noise too that's concerning--I feel like maybe a pulley from the motor is running against the wall, or possibly one or more of the rods are in need of lubrication. 

@urbanshark when is the last time the smooth rods (all 4 perimeter rods, the 2 print head shafts, and the 2 z-shafts) were lubricated with sewing machine oil?

If you move the print head by hand with the printer powered off, is there any resistance? Move it by hand by holding the top of the print head, not the bottom due to the way the bearings are set up.

• Like 1

gr5The motors are completely new, with less than 24 hours of operation, but the printer had been idle for two years. However, I added some oil, and now it runs better. Thanks for the advice!

• Like 1