Issues when Printing with Ultimaker 3 at 0.15mm Layer Height

Posted · Issues when Printing with Ultimaker 3 at 0.15mm Layer Height

Are my settings wrong? I just got a 3D printer and I’m printing with the standard settings at 0.15mm layer height.

PLA

Extruder temp: 200°C
Bed temp: 60°C
Print speed: 80mm/s

I chose a simple toy for a test print, but the result didn’t turn out as good as I expected. Some threads are coming out of the walls, making them uneven, and I need a perfect print. Is there any way to make it look better? Any settings or advice would be appreciated!

20241015_142124(1).thumb.jpg.e6fbbb03144a86c8e5aedd99c12339a5.jpg

20241015_135847.thumb.jpg.392015b39e2768b360a7d10cb36d24d8.jpg

20241015_023529.jpg

20241014_221923.jpg

There's no such thing as a perfect print.  Even injection molding - if you look this close you will see imperfections.

This quality is typical of most 3d printers.  I have certainly seen better but if you look for something (imperfections), you will find it every time.  Typically (but not always), larger printers tend to print with worse quality.

The most likely fix for all printer irregularities is to print slower.  That's the main tradeoff speed/quality.  Try 30mm/sec instead of 80.  Also:

Make all the printing speeds 30mm/sec - I think there are 7 of them so go through each one.  Make sure the travel speeds are fast.

Are you going to be printing artistic parts like pikachu or mechanical parts?  The settings are different if you want higher accuracy versus nicer looking parts.  If you care more about dimensional accuracy then let me know and I'll send you Ultimaker's recommended changes for engineering profiles.  It's built into cura for the S5 but I don't think the UM3 profiles include those.

This Pikachu model is just a test variant, but it's already showing clear defects at the front where the filament has oozed out, creating an uneven surface, while the sides are perfect. Since I plan to create figurines for orders, this is very critical. I would greatly appreciate it if you could share Ultimaker's recommended changes for engineering profiles.

If you are making figurines you 100% do not want the engineering profiles as they will be more dimensionally accurate but will have lots of "ringing" which will look worse.

So I'd stick with printing slower to see if that helps.  30mm/sec to start off.  All printing speeds (again, roughly 7 of them).  Keep the travel speeds fast.  In fact maybe increase them to 200mm/sec but definitely don't slow down the travel speeds which I think default to 150mm/sec.