steampunk ultimaker

Posted · steampunk ultimaker

I always found the Ultimaker an "industrial revolution", so I thought: Why not make it look like steampunk? All it needs right now are chains to hold everything together (instead of the plastic) and a steammachine to get it working :D

Everything you see came from a stock ultimaker, even the bolts & nuts. Wanted to use real brass nuts & bolts, but couldnt find them in time.

2012-04-17+15.42.38.jpg

2012-04-17+15.42.20.jpg

2012-04-17+15.42.01.jpg

Any ideas about improvements, changes, upgrades that I really should put into the machine? (A steam engine is on my to-do list already)

Throw some big goldish gears on it in random places. That's all steampunk really is right? Just go to the plumbing adapters section in Home Depot and go nuts!

Hehe, thats my next stop: Printing golden gears. Got a huge roll of gold-colored PLA :D

The ultimate steampunk mod: Power all the motors from a central driveshaft that is turned by a steam engine. Each "stepper" is then actuated by gear levers pulled by servos operated by the motherboard.

OR if you want to be EVEN MORE steampunk: Run the whole thing mechanically from a punched card containing your gcode instructions. Now that would be awesome. I imagine this machine would be excessively loud and extremely slow. In other words: PERFECT.

Putting just a bunch of brass gears on your machine will get you chewed at by steampunk people. Because steampunk is not just a bunch of gears, gears are just one of the components. The "home build" look of the Ultimaker works in your advantage in this case.

Googling some steampunk images might help getting ideas. Also, visiting a festival which has steampunk people can help, and is great fun. (elf fantasy fair for example)

I would change the fan duct, maybe something which looks like made of a thin layer of copper or brass would do good there. Make sure it's shiny :)