Opening external GCode in Cura doesn't work?

lord-devil

Posted · Opening external GCode in Cura doesn't work?

Hey there, I am using Cura 14.03 and whenever I try to open a GCode file from another program (e.g. Voxelizer, makerbot software etc.) it seems Cura is unable to load the file. There is no error message, but also no model visible.

Is this a known issue?

Kind regards,

LD

• Like 1

You won't see anything in the normal view, also not with GCODE generated by Cura (if the gcode file is loaded and not the stl).

You have to switch to the layer view... :-P

Oh yeah I know but that is exactly the problem... I am in layer mode and all I see is the empty um2 box and the layer slider only shows 1/1... so there is nothing in it?

I'm afraid you probably won't get Cura to show this gcode.

I was just able to reconstruct the issue with a slic3r generated gcode. In Cura 14.01 there was some not very reasonable display of one layer. I guess Daid supressed this nonsense in 14.03+.

If a Cura generated gcode file is loaded in 14.03, the different shells and infills are displayed as normal in layer view. Thus, Cura reads its own comments in the gcode. It's not very surprising that it fails to load a gcode produced by a different software due to the lack of these comments.

For the time being only Daid might actually be able to help you... :huh:

However, if you want to have a look at a gcode file layer by layer, I can recommend to you the viewer at http://gcode.ws.

Well if this is only an appearance issue, than it would be ok, but would you be able to print that with cura?

Thanks for your help,

Oliver