KNRLR-a tool for making knurled bolts (spiked actually)

Posted · KNRLR-a tool for making knurled bolts (spiked actually)

As the title says, I designed a small contraption for easy DIYing of spiked extruder bolts. Really comes in handy if you are designing your own extruder and the UM bolt doesn't fit your needs. I'd be really grateful if some body could port this to OpenSCAD and send me the files to add to my thing, since this isn't really customizable.

The name is cheesy and a bit misleading but it kinda grew on me so I left it like that. Hope you all like it. :)

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:21782

Edit: Doh, forgot to paste the link!

I, too, have a severe hatred of vowels.

But it seems like a cool design. How does the printed gear stay on? I'd be worried about it working loose because of the vibration of the grinding. Wouldn't it be better to put the gear around the hex part of the nut? Haven't tried using it but I think I'll print it out soon :D

The gear is designed to be a bit tight so it screws on with a bit of effort, then you secure it by tightening the M8 bolt to it. The same way the UM extruder gear is secured in place. :)

I'm a bit short of time due to work, but I was thinking of modifying this design to make real knurled bolts when I catch some time off. The main operating principle would stay the same - a printed gear as a guide (but a more precise one), but you would cut the bolt twice, at 45 degree and -45 degree angles, to produce a knurled pattern. If anybody has any suggestions on that, let me know.