Trouble printing with ABS

Posted · Trouble printing with ABS

Hi All,

I am trying to print using ABS on UM 2. But Some how, my sketch has been destroyed all the time when ABS is used. With PLA I do not have any issues or trouble at all.

I have selected ABS against PLA due to its strength and durability for my electronic component enclosure.

Printing using ABS, I have pre-heated bed at above 100 C but still layers will come off the bed before even 2% of sketch is finished. I then used glue with pre-heated bed at above 100 C but still experience the same issue. In both cases, surface of the sketch does not have any smooth finishing at all. :roll:

When I use PLA UM 2 works absolutely fine, sketch does not break or come off the bed and finishing is also much better. I also do not have to pre-heat the bed :).

Please advise how can I make the sketch using ABS without breaking it or coming off the bed. Any suggestions or tricks that I may not have tried already are welcome.

Also I think, when I preheat bed at 100 C and start printing I do not believe UM 2 is maintaining bed temperature @ 100 C so that it can keep the sketch warm enough to stick to the bed.

Also ABS has ability to shrink as it gets cooler which also make it come in-between the print head and remove the sketch off the bed. Any suggestions on this would also be great.

Thanks,

P

pratik,

The few times I used ABS with the UM2 these factors seem to be the most important:

I used the glue stick.

I heated bed to max, which was 110 degrees C.

I used black, so the hot-end had to be set at 260 C.

Side cooling fans were off.

I covered the front to lock in the heat

I've been printing with ABS really well, better than with PLA in fact. Just using the default temperatures. However, my best advice is to put down a heavy load of hairspray on the bed before it heats up. In fact, I have found the ABS to stick better when the hairspray is scratched up a little.