Question about Ultimaker support

glandman

Posted · Question about Ultimaker support

I received my Ultimaker 2 about 2 weeks ago.

Unfortunately it arrived with a broken wire connection close to the nozzle temperature sensor, so I opened a support ticket with the Ultimaker support site.

So far I have not heard anything back from them except for a automatically generated notification email.

What are your experiences with Ultimaker 2 hardware quality and support help?

Regards,

From a very dissatisfied Ultimaker buyer (not a user yet)

UM support is helpful, and flexible, and desperately wants happy, successful customers. But they are swamped. So if the wire issue is something you think you have the expertise to fix yourself, then you should probably just do it. Remember, these machines are just one generation removed from full-on build-and-fix-it-yourself units, so almost everything is fairly easily fixable, and UM is used to the DIY mentality from users. Which is not to say that you should have to fix it yourself, or that it's a problem if you don't. Just that it will get fixed quicker right now if you do :-)

What exactly is the problem with the wire? Is that something you feel comfortable with fixing yourself?

Whereabouts are you located?

Hi Glandman,

Do you have a ticket ID?

If you can share it with me I would be happy to help or put you in touch with someone from our technical support team :)

Thank you and our apologies for the inconvenience!

Hello Sander,

The ticket ID is #PBF-338-65478.

Meanwhile I've taken out the temperature sensor from the nozzle,

by following instructions posted by another user having problems with this sensor.

The metal jacket around the temperature sensor looks seriously bent and I am pretty sure either the wires inside this cover or the sensor itself must be damaged.

Since I cannot easily remove the sensor from its cover without applying some force to it, I cannot really check this. The only action to determine where the wires are disconnected is by cutting the wires close to the sensor and then measure the connections at both ends. I have not done this however as that means I cannot easily reconnect it afterwards (soldering is not option because of the temperature of the nozzle). I'm afraid the only real solution would be to replace the temperature sensor.

Do you believe I should cut the sensor wires to check the connection?

Regards,

Gerben Landman