Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
chezzi

Hello this newbie needs help.

Hi there everyone,

I'm a complete newbie to the world of 3Dprinting and ask for your support.

I have an UM2 all ready for printing. I have printed out a test piece...worked brilliantly!

I have tried to download some examples from this site but can't seem to access them on cura?

Do I download files straight to SD card or save to my laptop then open up on cura?

what am I doing wrong...confused?

Please help! :???:

Hey There,

Welcome to the 3D printing world! :p

I'm not sure what you're downloading, but you need to download .STL files. Then you can open them up in Cura, they'll appear as a yellow model. From there you scale/move/select your print settings, wait for it to generate the Gcode, (little progress bar under the floppy disk) and then copy the .GCODE onto your SD card by clicking on the disk once it's done processing.

Your printer should be able to print the file then.

so recap:

INTERNET -> STL file -> CURA -> .GCODE -> SDCARD -> PRINTER

You can get things to print here:

https://www.youmagine.com/

Hello

Actually, it goes like this:

You have downloaded STL-, OBJ- DAE-Files first open in Cura, and after you've made your individual settings, you have to go to: "File" > "Save GCode..."; so that your object is sliced (converted) to machine code.

Do not Forget: The target path for the generated GCode files must of course the SD card to be selected.

Markus

When you open a model in Cura, it should appear on your buildplate, you should be able to move it around and scale it and such.

On the Right side, you should be able to go to the 'layer view' and see what the printhead will actually do.

Where specifically are you having the problem? when you open the file, does it just not show up on your print plate? What's this weblink you're getting?

This is what it would look like when you load a few STLs in Cura... (Sorry it's in timelapse mode)

http://www.redicubricks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Cura_test.mov