First day, first BIG Problem

midgard

Posted · First day, first BIG Problem

Yesterday i got my Ultimaker 2.

So far, so good.

I start the first prints and the first one was fine. But then, the extrudion stops a couple of time. After removing the material, those little wheel (those against the ball-bearing, with the little rills on it) in the filament transporter FELL OFF. So i looked at it, and try to put it on again.

But the plastic of the filament transportation prohibit, that i could fix those little screw on the stepper motor. So, than i thought, to remove the upper case of the transport mechanism was a good idea.

And now the problem starts:

after removal, the stepper got out of place and in case of those cover in the front, i cannot get to the stepper to fixate it.

1. It ist a very bad decision that the cover of the filament transportation also holds the transport stepper.

2. the shipped keys don't fit really good into the screws.

3: Why those coser in the left backend corner? I cannot get to the stepper now... .

and the most important thing:

What can i do, to fix the stepper???? I don't want to remove screws on my own, perhaps the hole printer will fall apart :wink:

Please help, i'm totally stucked here.

Regards

Midgard

That exact thing happened to me. Got my UM2 a couple of weeks ago! The screw that holds the knurled piece sucks and can not be fastened properly.

You can remove the cover with ONE SCREW on the upper left corner on the left side of the machine. Then you can reach the motor and fix it to be able to screw the feeder back!

The tools that is shipped with the UM2 is worthless.

Many thanks, i'll try it ... after work.

So, if those mechanism is bad, are there any posibilities to replace it?

I don't know, if it is well seen in this forum, but i also have a replicator2 and it was a real odyssey, to get the machine extruding. It takes many weeks an a mass of bucks to get it work. It could print my own extruder mechanism, but for optimal work i need a special compression spring, which was not available in whole europe... Finally i bought one from Texas... That costs 46 Bucks (6 $ the spring, rest shippment :mad: ) and takes around 6 Weeks (5 days from Texas to germany, and 5 weeks in the german custom duties... .

That was also a reason to get a second printer (especially from europe) because it has understandable and european standardized measures and parts.

Hopefully the odyssey won't start again :-|

Regards

Midgard

If you still have the screw there should be no problem putting it back on. It's probably easier if the motor is detached, i'd suggest putting it back on once you get a hand on it from the inside of the printer. Then put the feeder back on.

If you still have the screw there should be no problem putting it back on. It's probably easier if the motor is detached, i'd suggest putting it back on once you get a hand on it from the inside of the printer. Then put the feeder back on.

GOT YOU :D

On your gallery pics, i see a custom transport. (those golden print in the upper right) that looks much more comportable. Is it open source?, and: where can i get it?. That is exactly the kind of customization i think of.

I could print it with black PLA 100% infil, so that should be stable enough i think.

Regards

Midgard

Yes it's Robert's feeder you can find it on youmagine:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

But normally at first it should work quite fine with the stock feeder ;)

Wow. I didn't even know that existed. Thanks for the link.

No problem :) This thing should be shipped with the printer it's very useful when you want to repair or change something