UM2 Maintenance?

Posted · UM2 Maintenance?

I have around 30 hours of print time on my new UM2 and am wondering general maintenance I should be doing on a regular basis. I have been reading about problems with the filament feeder and cloging of the extruder and am wondering if I need to periodically need to clean them to prevent problems.

Thanks!

Putting the filament on the floor will eliminate or stave off many problems. That is by far the most important thing you can do:

Red spool

Also keeping the nozzle cooler will help the white teflon piece not deform. At 240 and 250C it is more likely to compress and deform and cause problems. That is the second most important thing you can do.

I know this doesn't sound like "maintenance" - more like "babying the printer", but it will help you longer.

Also don't print where dust can get on the filament (and end up in the nozzle) - store unused filament in sealed ziploc bags to keep dust off and also to keep humidity out. Possibly cover the whole thing in plastic whenever someone vacuums.

Is the dust filter (i printed robert's one but used it only once) very usefull for this?

I have two cats, two dogs, horses and a daughter :mrgreen:

I just leave my spools in a cupboard but i don't really bother about dust