Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

From my point of view a great idea as long it has enough power for cutting not only paper and cardboard - and is safe.

There is another solution I found with an (max) 2.8W laser - also available in US. Initially designed for a Ma****ot, but with a nice implementation manual for a UM1

see here: http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=1336

Oooh thank you Daid, do you have a release date for the HeatedBedUpgradeKit for the UM1?

No. I have no idea how long it takes to get numbers in stock and everything ready for full production. (It's currently in beta-testing)

Is it legal to import these lasers into Europe?

It sure does sound tempting. Especially the "engraving PCBs" part. I never order my PCBs with silkscreen because of the costs, and that could really be an interesting replacement for the silkscreen...

I don't think you can reliably cut something like acrylic with a 2W laser. The FabLab Zurich laser is a 75W model which doesn't always succeed in fully cutting though 5mm acrylic. Depends on the settings, sure. But power is usually at 100%.