Use Full Platform with UM2?

Posted · Use Full Platform with UM2?

I have a PB+ V2 now and while I like it, it is really slow, like 20mm/s and doesn't like to go below .2mm layers. I'm thinking about swapping with a 0,8 nozzle and turning it into a PET focused machine since slow speeds seem standard with that material.

The main pet peeve I have with the PB+ is that the bed, even with a piece of glass, is far from flat. I really only get a 6x6 area since the bed, crowns a bit and has a twist in it too. With ABS, my preferred material, even with 20mm brims and glue, the corners are no-gos.

I'm trying to rationalize the UM2 my thoughts are:

-Actually much finer resolution

-Faster speeds

-Seems inherently more accurate

Will I actually get the full bed? How much of a brim are people using with ABS?

I could do some upgrades on my PB+, but it would be a couple hundred bucks and a few day (for me) of tearing it down and bringing it back up. The metal bases seem to be cast and I see a lot of reports that they aren't flat (enough).

Had a school project for my 9 year old son where we printed a model of a building. Took almost a week of around the clock printing to print it and in a lot of sections. I think I could have printed it in about 2 days from the speeds I'm seeing on youtube.

Thanks

Posted · Use Full Platform with UM2?

Average print speed is 50 mm/s, you can go higher on a finely tuned UM.

The most hackable machine I would say it still is the UM1.

Yes it lacks a lot of things like the heated bed and so on, but you can acquire those for the same amount of money you would be paying for the difference between the two machines and you can have an hackable machine which could let you do considerable improvements like direct drive or swapping of the print head to a much lighter and printed one.

I still don't have a hot bed, but that's due the fact I'm not planning on printing in ABS anytime soon due the toxic smokes it releases.