Should Cura try putting support here?

facere

Posted · Should Cura try putting support here?

Threw together a vague mace-like thing, I like making them to tune my UM2; however, Cura has decided that the handle isn't worthy of support.

Photos should show the mace upright and lying flat, in both normal and layers; I can get layers to look okay for upright, but it doubles the material.

However, when I lay it sideways, which I prefer to do, (in experience, it makes the little thing less likely to snap when thrown), Cura adds support for all but the midsection, and I can't get it to change that unless I rotate the item a bit, but that ruins the four sticky-out-rectangle head bits. Oh and excuse the name that shows on the first image, I like giving them ostentatious names at the early stages because.. I don't have a reason. Model has been put on thingiverse in case it helps. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:358547

ZIPfYrK.pngVuevpMm.pngFkRn79s.png4r77pzk.png

Yes, there should be support there. The support detection in Cura is still a bit flaky - along most of the rest of support in Cura. You could try adding your own support to the STL using Meshmixer.

I would cut this object in half (horizontal), and then glue it together. With that soulution you wouldn't need any support.