Cannot connect to printer from ReplicatorG

hallz

Posted · Cannot connect to printer from ReplicatorG

Hi,

I have finished assembling my ultimaker (batch 6). It appears as a serial device on both my linux and windows machine. However when I attempt to connect to it from ReplicatorG it gets to 'Supports RC' and then nothing happens (bar does not turn green.).

I have selected the correct com port and 'sprinter/marlin'. I have also tried updating the firmware but when you click 'Upload' it just shows an error dialog.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what might be the problem?

Thanks, David

What version of RepG did yo use? 35rc1 was only released yesterday.

You could try Cura:

https://github.com/daid/Cura/wiki

The first run wizard machine check and calibration do not work in RC1, so skip those, but the rest works great and it has helped a lot of people so far. (Small note: Cura uses a 250000 baud rate, which does not seem to work right in Linux)

Try this:

- Start RepG without connecting the ultimaker.

- Connect the Ultimaker, but dont connect yet.

- Upgrade

- Then try to connect.

Chances are high the firmware is shipped with 5D firmware.

Hi, thanks for your replies.

After much fiddling with board rates as suggested in the replicatorg section (not the issue). I got it working by running the 0026 version of replicatorg and then upgrading the firmware then using the latest 0035 version of replicatorg.

As you said Ultimaker ships with 5D firmware.

Now to try and print something. Cheers!

Note, this is why Cura, before anything else, asks you if you want to upgrade your firmware on the first run :)

Good luck on your first print, and, don't go messing with other software options till you are sure your printer is up and running fine mechanically.

Try this:

- Start RepG without connecting the ultimaker.

- Connect the Ultimaker, but dont connect yet.

- Upgrade

- Then try to connect.

Chances are high the firmware is shipped with 5D firmware.

mr_seeker,

Thanks! This was very helpful. I was trying to connect to the machine in ReplicatorG 0035 and had the Arduino Mega 2560 driver installed and the correct COM port chosen, but could not connect. Based on your advice, I got it to work by doing the following:

1) disconnect USB cable from computer

2) start ReplicatorG

3) plug USB cable back into computer

4) Machine --> Upload new firmware... --> (then follow steps to upload Marlin Build 3) (returned message of success)

5) click Turn On button in ReplicatorG

Thank you for the thread!

Thanks Mr seeker.

Same experience as dbotos here.

I like being able to control speed, extruder rate, fan, and temp during the print.

With Cura 13. Whatever I even lost the ability to speed up or slow down by %.

Previous Cura wouldn't work at all so I removed everything.

Read this thread and now I can once again use replicator 26 after losing the ability after installing Cura to try it out. Cura was good especially great at connecting but once in a while I needed that full control.

Maybe I'll set Cura up on the Mac side of my computer then the drivers won't get in each others way.

Thanks again to Hallz for getting the discussion going.

Cura 12something on the Mac is my choice. After getting used to Cura it makes Replicator with Skeinforge seem like a chore. I do miss the ability to adjust the extruder rate. This isn't usually very important until I run into some hard to work with plastic.

Cura is way better for Ultimaker than any other software. The structures and the for device handling is just incredible!