Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
facere

Ultimaker 2, Shift in X (or possibly Y)

Out of my last 10 prints, 9 have suffered some sort of shift in whichever axis is left to right.

8 of those 9 have been shifts to the right, mostly by between 25 and 50mm, while a few have been maybe 5-10mm.

I've tightened all available screws as much as I can, generally fiddled in helpful ways, made sure nothing I can see is off, updated Cura and firmware, in that order.

All I can find on previous posts that I could do is lubricate the axis, which I'm about to do, but if that doesn't work, is there anything else I can do? Pulleys seem alright, cogs tight, yet it keeps shifting.

That would be X axis.

Mark the shafts and the pulleys with a pen to see if they are slipping. Actually you only have to mark the 2 pulleys on the short belt - the one with the stepper motor and the one above the stepper.

Is it a sudden shift or gradual shift over many layers? Sudden shifts tend to be loose setscrews and gradual shifts tend to be rubbing belt but it could be the reverse on very rare occasions.

Especially note if the X short belt (in the back rear) is rubbing on wood (if UM1, rear panel if UM2). It might not look like it is rubbing but you can tell because the belt twists different directions when it switches directions instead of always being square and vertical like the Y short belt.

If it *is* a UM Original and if it *is* doing "the twist" thing then it's easily fixed by adding one washer under each of the 4 black plastic spacers. Also make sure the pulley is as close as possible to the stepper without touching the stepper (true for UM1 and UM2). About 0.5mm gap is good.