Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
qmaker

Cura 14.06 not loading properly?

I have Cura 14.06 on one machine. It seems to work great. I have another machine that I tried to download and install it on. When I launch the app. I get a message saying.

Cura Error

options are to open console or Terminate.

If I open console the last recorded error says.[2265} Exited with exit code:255

I deleted the application and re downloaded, installed and same message.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Note, I am planning to drop MacOS 10.6 support in the future. Apple is making it quite impossible to support it properly.

(The hoops I jump trough to get it to work are quite... interesting. The fact that it works at all on 10.6 is a bit of a miracle)

Thanks for the information Daid, is this true of the newer mac operating systems as well?

Any insight as to what my issue is currently, or should I just chalk it up to a miracle that it is working on my other machine?

I need to update to a newer OS, so maybe this is a nudge to do so.

Does an extra error or something show up if you run it like this:

Open the package (right click, show package contents)

Go to Contents/MacOS

There run the "Cura" file. A black console window should popup now, maybe giving an extra error.

(The default Error console of MacOS is useless for Cura for some reason)

I had a related problem with one of the older versions of Cura (Mac OS X 10.9.2 here). There seems to be the possibility of a race condition related to the options window (or advanced settings). I am not sure how I solved it but I remember that I tried quite a few things. Removing the subfolder related to that version in ~/.cura was one of them.

And on another related note - Cura 14.06 didn't want to start properly once (dock icon bouncing forever). I killed the process a few times (too lazy to reboot) and once I let it start for a few minutes (icon bouncing like a boss), it finally started. Never had the problem again though.

Ok, this sounds really dumb, but how do you open the package.

When I right click there are no show package contents options. I know I have seen it there in the past.

I did notice that there is a newer 14.06.1 version. I downloaded it and tried again. But received the same error.

Ok, sorry, I was out of town for awhile on business and vacation. I opened the console and...

The terminal shows a line that says Failed to create directory: / Users/useser/.cura/14.06.1

at the end there ios a line that says the time followed by Cura [364:507} Cura error logout

If I open the console there is a huge list of processes towards the end I am seeing errors but I am not sure what I am looking for here. If I had to guess it looks like it has something to do with either a security error or directory error.

Is this similar to the error you were having Nicolinux?

Hi guys, just thought I would check in and see if anybody had any ideas. I have an email into ultimaker support now, but I am anxiously waiting to print :arrow: :unsure:

That question will end up with me eventually.

I've had a few more reports like this, and finally found someone who managed to make a proper log that I needed.

What is happening, Cura tries to make a directory for configuration files, this fails. After that, it tries to save the configuration file in that directory, this fails and crashes Cura.

I'll have a few things to try and I'll build a test version tomorrow for the people with this issue.

I've placed a testing version at:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

This version has 2 changes compared to 14.07, it changes the location where the configuration is stored. From /Users/user/.cura/version/ to /Users/user/Library/Application Support/version/ as that is apparently the proper location for configuration data. And it catches the crash when saving configuration to it should at least start (but will be unable to save data then)

Hi Daid, Thank you. I downloaded and tried to install and open. It opened and immediately came up with the message Cura Error with my options being open console or terminate. As I scrolled through the console text (not knowing what I am looking at or for) I saw many errors. Perhaps I could email you the console error text? If that would help.

Thanks again for your work on this.

The default error console from MacOS is useless (boils down to "Apple hates me"). You need to go trough the "open package contents" procedure (described it above in this topic) to get a useful error message.