UM2 printhead broken

funny

Posted · UM2 printhead broken

Hi @all

I own my UM2 for about 2 months now.

Today I noticed a big crack in the printhead plastic.

DSC01832

I have never done something with the printhead yet (like disasembling etc.)

Now i'm wondering if there is anybody with the same problem and any idea how this could happen? Material fault?

Daniel

Hi Daniel ;)

Wow,

If nothing was pinched during installation?

If the long screws were not tightened too much?

If the print head is not cracked along with anything on the build platform?

But it is ultimately not matter ...

I would try the following:

- Are both bearings still functional, they can be moved easily, and make this while no noise?

- The slim X / Y-axis (rods / linear waves) could be bent slightly or strongly, also check the correct position, in the holders of the little black boxes on the sides.

- You first need new housing parts of the print head (support ticket).

- After the repair, I would print a large test cube, and this accurately as possible measure.

- Then you can determine whether the linear rods, and or the bearings need to be replaced.

Maybe you can do it with a single support ticket, just to get all the parts ...

Markus

The crack looks scarry!

Maybe the head crashed into the frame. Take a look at the side panels at the top. And check your endstops. You should contact Ultimaker support in any case.

Thanks for your answers, I have opened a support ticket.

- endstops are working fine, head don't crash into the walls (also no scratches visible)

- head is easy to move and seems in correct position

- bearings are ok

- Thumbscrews were thigtened very strong, I was not able to loose them by hand and had to use a plier

The last point may be the/a reason for the problem.

Temporary I fixed the head with cable ties. If I find time, I will try to print the housing by myself as a secondary temporary solution :)

Funny -- while thinking up what spare parts I want to stock, printing that housing was near the top of my list. ;-)

2 weeks ago I have opened a support ticket regarding this issue.

Unfortunately no response yet. Is this "Ultimaker standard"?

Seems new machines are meanwhile delivered faster than support answers.

Yes, unfortunately, existing customers are to be treated in a unknown long queue. :huh:

I have already given up asking for replacement parts. :O

If my UM2 no longer running due to lack of spare parts, then I tie it to a rocket with target Eindhoven, I think anyway. A bunch of carrots I bind also with it. :lol:

This flight projectile should NOT hurt life, definitely. At most, should this act a little scare. Or maybe someone will finally woken up from the rumpus. :mrgreen:

Markus

Hi Daniel,

I just recognized exactly the same problem. Just thinking of printing a new part instead of waiting for the support... Does anyone know about an already exisiting file? How did you manage that problem in the meantime?

cheers Marinus