Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
flashp0int

Ultimaker2 Hot-End

Before I start investigating manufacturing one myself.

Did someone already create a more generic version of the UM2 hot end that could enable to easily change the nozzle size?

Have found several topics for UM1, nothing fir UM2. Thanks!

Generally, you could use one of many hotends out there (E3D, Merlin, UBIS, and so on...).

What you need is a mount. UM1 mounts (for example for the E3D hotends) will fit the UM2, too.

Usually, there is not much need for this as the original UM2 hotend seems to be very good (I don't have one myself), hence there arent many discussions about it.

Also, you have to reconfigure the machine (build size, end stops, printhead size). I'm not sure how far the UM2 can be adjusted in comparison to the UM1 (which is highly customizable).

The hot-end is OK, but it is limited to .4

If I have to swap the full hot-end instead of just the nozzle for material changes, that's going to be time-consuming.

Not planning to do something drastically different from the current hot-end. The only thing that buggs me is that it should be easier to swap from .4 to .6 or .8 for instance.

It might slightly affect max Z-height, so not too much worried about that configuration aspect.

Alternative, is building a Kossel Mini - :) Sounds like a plan as well.