Extruder Chewing into the Filament

charles-design

Posted · Extruder Chewing into the Filament

Hi there,

I just unboxed my UM2 so far very happy by the quality of the build.

My issue is that when I start a print when extruder just grinds against the filament creating a dent and stopping it from working properly.

Is the bearing pushing too much or too little?

How do you adjust this?

Many thanks,

Charles

It sounds like you might be suffering from a little bug that snuck into the firmware that makes the printer extrude too much material too quickly at the start of the print. Try updating to the latest firmware by downloading cura 14.07 here:

http://software.ultimaker.com/

If memory serves it will ask if you want to upgrade the firmware. If it doesn't, go to Machine -> Install default firmware.

Since your machine is new the little white pressure indicators on the feeder should be around the middle of their range.

The white plastic indicators are both on the up position.

Does the allen key screw allow to adjust the pressure against the filament or do you just move the white parts?

Also is it possible to update the firmware through the sd card?

Thanks for the speedy response!

You need to use an allen key. There's a little screw in the hole next to where the bowden tube enters that you need to turn. The white dials are just indicators.

If you're not having any trouble with grinding you can leave it set where it is.

And no, you can't update your firmware via the SDCard (at least not as far as I know).

And since you're new, may I recommend this little guide while I'm at it? (shameless self promotion :p )

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

I've built 2 rep raps so hopefully I'll I should manage, thanks anyway though :p