in contact with Filament

mgg

Posted · in contact with Filament

Hi,

what materials are in contact with molten filament? I know that the nozzle is made of brass and the extruder of PTFE, but are there any other materials in contact with hot filament?

Bests,

MGG

Remnants from other plastic that you've run through the printer (all machines are tested before being shipped out). Contaminants in the material you're using. Dust. Random oil/grease from the machined parts. Oil from the bearing inside the feeder, ground down parts of the plastic housing of the feeder (can't remember the type of plastic used at the moment, it's not ABS). Whatever the guy/gal had on his/her fingers during assembly.

That's what I can come up with without thinking too hard on it. In other words, don't print stuff and put it inside people or use it with food.

I guess you could use XT and put it in the dishwasher first for food contact. But that wouldnt be 100% safe (nothing is anyway)

Got to choose your battles :p

Oh and dont forget anything that is on the bed, glue, tape, dirt, air spray,...

Thanks everyone!

I dont want to apply it for any food related stuff. I am testing new materials and want to be sure that I dont have any corrosion problems. Some polymers produce small amounts of acids upon decomposition.

Well then it all depend on what your printer already printed. It will have printed PLA for sure at Ultimaker