Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
j3d

Led lights out - 3rd string only

Hey All,

First post here. I received my Ultimaker 2 a few days ago and it's printing great, although I still have a lot to learn. I noticed yesterday there is a third string of led lights that doesn't light. I didn't even realize there was a third string until I had the unit for a few days. It's the vertical string on the right side. Looks like its at the end of the daisy chained group, furthest away from the power source. I'm expecting a call from the iMakr store to address the problem tomorrow.

I sure would like to fix this myself rather than ship to unit off for warranty work. Any thoughts on what it would take to troubleshoot and fix this myself?

Start by looking at the wires up in the top right corner, and see if they're rubbing on the pulleys. Poke them a bit and see if there's a loose connection up there. Most likely the issue is just a bad connection between the second and third strips.

If there is, it may be as simple as gluing down the LED strips and or wires to keep them out of the way, and making good contact.

Beyond that you may need to resolder a new connection between the two strips, or simply replace the entire set of 3 LED strips with a new one. It's not really hard to do, but it is a little bit tight and fiddly to work around the pulleys etc. Best approach is to place the printer front down, and work through the top of the printer.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like one of the wires was touching the rotating shaft. I don't see any wear on the wire jacket, although it's hard to tell in such a tight space. I guess I'll have to see what iMakr has to say about it. If they want to send a replacement for the led module I can probably do the install. I need to learn to solder but I would rather learn on something less expensive