Requesting base for support

tonycstech

Posted · Requesting base for support

Line support has weak attachment to the bed. If they grow tall enough, they might brake off.

Lines supports have small contact area and they need to be attached to the bed as hard as possible, so having a layer of silid print (i think) woudl be perfect.

Maybe have an option to print X2 line thickness and finish with X1 line allowing it to break off eazy ?

If you agree, like this post. At some point developers may notice it.

If you agree, like this post. At some point developers may notice it.

We notice everything. We are the borg. (sorry, but Cura is developed by a really small team. Most of the work is done by me only)

In the very old (skeinforge based) code, the first layer of support was actually printed thicker to get a better adhesion to the bed.

Thanks. 1st one replied "nailed it !".

Does that mean i was heard and request concidered or its somethingwe'd have to live with ?

It will save material used for support by 50% or so, since its not runnign crossing lines.

I was thinking about support the other day and came up with what may be achieved in few years of CURA development.

Thought was: What if CURA UI would have feature to pick type of support per location where it gets generated, as well as rotate it and move it in the viewport ?

This could be done by generating 3d models as support and letting user to select what model he wants to shove into the gap as a support, select that model slice type and then slice entire model (concidering slicing options per support models)

I think there is already something like that out there on the marker that allows you to design your support in the viewport, but am not sure of the name of that program nor its cost.

Agree that brim would give enough help to keep the lines attached to the base, but brim uses allot of material and for someone trying to save (reason being 50% or so using lines VS grid support) its not an option. Cheaper to use grid.

I use lines a lot but like you said the taller they get, the less likelly I will use them.

Why not connect the lines together like grid does until contact to the model - 2mm?

I use lines a lot but like you said the taller they get, the less likelly I will use them.

Why not connect the lines together like grid does until contact to the model - 2mm?

Support would be easier to remove if it would get conneced each X layer instead of grid all the way( and no grid at the end as you suggested) .

I'd say every mm or so, run grid pattern 1 layer or 2 just to keep its structual integrity. And then ofcourse no grid when finishing up.