Sign in to follow this  
antiklesys

Axis moving ultra fast with hot bed firmware

Posted · Axis moving ultra fast with hot bed firmware

In Cura I switched my machine's settings to include a heated bed and set the temperature to 0. This was in order to benefit of the 3 point bed levelling system.

After this part i had to reflash the firmware in the machine and my UM Original started going freaking faster for homing operations, but also for printing.

Why is this happening only when the heated bed firmware is uploaded?

Should the machine not behave just the same as it was before?

I reflashed back as the quality of the prints decreased dramatically with this firmware.

I've also noticed that after uploading a custom firmware, the printer would seem to run faster than before. I thought I was just going crazy, but it might actually be some error..

I've never had any quality issues though. It's just that I now it feels like 50mm/s is the same as 100mm/s was with the old firmware.

Hi Jonny,

I've experienced quality issues when i was trying to print small parts.

The same part which was coming out ok with the previous firmware, started to come out extremely messy afterwards.

Check the accel settings. They might default to higher values with custom firmware. So even though you set 50mm/s, the default accel settings means it never gets to that speed. However, increased accel settings will allow the speed to be reached.

Most people can't use the firmware from Cura because it is set for a different temp sensor type than the currently available 3rd party beds.

What bed are your using?

Why is this happening only when the heated bed firmware is uploaded?

Should the machine not behave just the same as it was before?

Because the firmware is intended for the heated-bed-upgrade-kit. Which has the UM2 Z motor.

Daid, are the accel settings different because of that Z motor change?

Also, if you remember the thread about the quality difference with 14.06 version vs previous versions, could they have flashed the heated bed version and be running at a higher speed?

That was the discussion where you did a double blind test and posted a dimly lit photo of the result.

I can answer this. Yes. Cura only comes with firmware for the UM kit heated bed. Even if you select custom/self installed, Cura will flash the UM kit heated bed firmware. This has caused locked up printed for some of us.

So the UM kit heated bed is supposed to also come with:

-redesigned Z stage

-UM2 Z Motor

That thing will be bloody expensive.

How did you guys resolve the issue using a custom bed? You had to use a custom firmware I guess?