Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
destroyer2012

Panelmax... for ultimaker!

I decided that Daid was right and I did need a full ultipanel for my ultimaker :D ! However I did not want to spend >$100 on a legit ultipanel, so what I did was I basically modified the panelmax

to fit my ultimaker. I made a custom enclosure for the 20x4 LCD and click encoder and for the SD card reader I used the same board as for my previous SD card reader (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=688) except instead of a soldered in SD card I soldered in an SD card port salvaged from an SD reader dongle. I used this screen (

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190344295723?ss ... 1952.l2649

) and this encoder (

Looking good :)

I am a bit surprised that you mounted it to the side like that. I usually stand next to my machine, and then the viewing angle of the normal UltiController is quite steep already (but Joris told me you could just put it on the table instead of hanging it on the machine, that changes the angle to standing viewing angle.

The large knob is most likely an improvement over the normal ulticontroller knob. However, small warning, scrolling very fast in the SD card menu sometimes causes problems, not sure why.

I am a bit surprised that you mounted it to the side like that.

My machine is up on a little cabinet and so if I roll my office chair up to the cabinet then the screen is at eye level. But if I am standing the angle is annoying, you are right. I might change it later. There are two bolts which stick out from the back of the panel which I can easily attach some kind of angled stand to, and I might just have enough cable slack to do it :D.

May I ask, how much did the complete project cost with material and post ?

Several of the parts I didn't buy specifically for this project but I just had laying around, for example the perf boards, wires, screws, and SD card port. As I said below the images in my original post, I think the total price would be something like $35 at most.

I really wish it had more buttons though, navigating menus to move the other axes, or to turn down the flow rate during printing is annoying.

Also, I think the finger wheel design works better with a rotary encoder that doesn't need to be pressed. So, I might move that to another button or even better, add three or four more buttons to the panel, for X, Y, Z, E for example.