Before I get started I need some help!

Posted · Before I get started I need some help!

Hi everyone!

My name's Steven (pleased to meet you all!) and I've been looking into the 3D printer market for a couple of months now, and after lots of research I've settled on the Ultimaker - it's mix of affordability and print resolution seems to be exactly what I'm after. I'm looking at using the Ultimaker to make my own wargaming miniatures (much like Shaun - another user on this forum). They will be about 28mm high and reasonably fine detail (which is why I'm keen on the Ultimaker - the 0.1mm vertical resolution seems much better for this sort of thing than the 0.3mm resolution that other printers provide).

I just have a couple of questions before I get started.

1: Which 3D graphic programs should I use with the Ultimaker? I want to print a lot of small models of people, is Poser going to work? How hard is it to export files between different graphics programs? Is it possible to just plug-and-print like with a lot of 2D printers?

2: Is the Ultimaker difficult to assemble? I have no experience with electronics, but if it's just a matter of following a set of assembly instructions then I won't have any difficulty. If it involves wiring up electronics or soldering then it's probably a little beyond my skills.

3: A very simple question - the printer had 3 planes: X, Y and Z. X and Y are horizontal, Z is vertical, correct?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!

My name's Steven (pleased to meet you all!) and I've been looking into the 3D printer market for a couple of months now, and after lots of research I've settled on the Ultimaker - it's mix of affordability and print resolution seems to be exactly what I'm after. I'm looking at using the Ultimaker to make my own wargaming miniatures (much like Shaun - another user on this forum). They will be about 28mm high and reasonably fine detail (which is why I'm keen on the Ultimaker - the 0.1mm vertical resolution seems much better for this sort of thing than the 0.3mm resolution that other printers provide).

I just have a couple of questions before I get started.

1: Which 3D graphic programs should I use with the Ultimaker? I want to print a lot of small models of people, is Poser going to work? How hard is it to export files between different graphics programs? Is it possible to just plug-and-print like with a lot of 2D printers?

2: Is the Ultimaker difficult to assemble? I have no experience with electronics, but if it's just a matter of following a set of assembly instructions then I won't have any difficulty. If it involves wiring up electronics or soldering then it's probably a little beyond my skills.

3: A very simple question - the printer had 3 planes: X, Y and Z. X and Y are horizontal, Z is vertical, correct?

Thanks!

Hi steven!

1: You can use any 3D program you like, as long as it exports in mm and can export "STL" files. Its not possible to plug-and-print right now, but you can use a program like ReplicatorG and Cura to do this.

2. I have seen people without any technological background putting an Ultimaker together. There is a little bit of science involved, but everyone with a high school diplom and some understanding of physics should be capable of putting it together in a working day (and running it on day 2).

3. Yes. What I use is something I prefer to call "The rule of Thumb": Using your left hand, point your index finger forward (Y axis), your middle finger 90 degrees (X axis) and your thumb up (Z-axis). The rest of your hand is the center.

"You can use any 3D program you like, as long as it exports in mm and can export "STL" files."

You can use any cad program that exports in (feet & inches) or mm....just use the 'scale' option in any slicer program to adjust the size of the object being printed....plenty of people on here to help if you need it.....have fun..!!