Slic3r profile problems

celso

Posted · Slic3r profile problems

Hi,

Help the newbie please.

I'm struggling with trying to find the optimal settings for a Slic3r (latest 0.8.2 version) profile.

I'm using this pyramid object to help me with the calibration (see attach). Yes, I've tried the E steps procedure too.

No matter the settings I have, my objects always end up with this strings of plastic connecting distance spots, extruded incorrectly when the head travels.

First I though the temperature was too high (I'm using PLA) so I decreased it progressively from 200 to 175. Nothing.

Then I tried to increase the retraction length setting. No major improvements either.

I've also tried different speeds. I'm now printing very slowly (30mm/s for permitters, 60mm/s infills) and I increased the travel speed to 150mm/s. Nothing seems to help much.

From your experience, what do you thing is the main reason why the extruder drops so much plastic when the head is traveling? What settings should I experiment with?

Thanks!

The effect you see is called "stringing". It's one of the major problems with the Ultimaker design right now. What helps is retraction. I don't know if Slic3r has retraction settings, and if they work (because in my experience Slic3r does a great job at slicing, but sometimes options just don't work at all, IMHO the work they do on it is great. But it's not stable yet, and the people that are shouting that everyone should use it are not people that just want to print, but people that want cutting edge tech)

If Slic3r has retraction, try 2mm of retraction at 50mm/s. You could also try Cura, which has defaults that work great for the Ultimaker:

https://github.com/daid/Cura/wiki

but you have to set retraction yourself then at 2mm, because the default of Cura is no retraction.

• 4 weeks later...

Slic3r has had retraction settings almost since its birth, and they do work flawlessly.

I'm almost as biased as Daid ;) but to be honest I'm not aware of any option not working in Slic3r. Daid, what options are you talking about? If you find something not working, I'll be glad to hear so that it can be fixed. Otherwise, don't scare users ;)

Lots of people, including common users, have been using Slic3r since the past autumn to make their everyday prints with excellent results...

I'm almost as biased as Daid ;) but to be honest I'm not aware of any option not working in Slic3r. Daid, what options are you talking about? If you find something not working, I'll be glad to hear so that it can be fixed. Otherwise, don't scare users ;)
    It was a few versions ago, support did not work at all. And I was getting some strange slice results. I've been too busy with other things to try it again, and I know Slic3r is moving fast.

To the old problem. In Slic3r you must set the E Steps manual by change the start G-Code.

And the temp was to high. A heavy string is comming out without preasure from feeder.

And perhaps there is a setting to give each layer a min time to cool down. So the Head will slow down in the top. This option is not always good. Here, its bad.