Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
nudelmannrichter

Specific question to get dual extrusion running on UM2

Hi Folks,

lets say it might be possible to bulid in a second nozzle etc. to the UM2 letting the heat problem aside.

What would I have to do to get the machine running with the second extruder?

I see that Cura allows me to set the number of extruders to 2. Ok done.

But now? What do I have to do to lett the UM2 that it has a 2nd extruder mounted?

I connect second heat pill, second thermal sensor for nozzle temperature and 2nd stepper motor.

Result of first try is (of course) that nothing happens. I cannot control the devices related to the 2nd extruder.

I understand that I have to change some settings, jumpers, Firmware version, whatever.

What would be the way to do it for some tests?

thanky

nudel

Hi Nudel,

I don't think no one is into getting deeper in dual extrusion. Many, including myself, want it.

You can see here a thread with 11 pages of comments on the subject.

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/3803-ultimaker-2-dual-extrusion/

People are just focusing on other things while Ultimaker is deep into the subject. Its no simple task and many have been proposing ideas.

Cheers