No material coming out - entirely new UM2

taras

Posted · No material coming out - entirely new UM2

Hi

Forgive me, I have read some posts on the forum, but I'm not sure if the treads I read are concerning new printers or...

Anyways, my entire new UM2 has been setup without any hazzle.

I followed every instruction (also step 15 - the one about waiting until the material exited the nozzle).

But when setup was completed and I tried to print one of the tests from the manufactor SD Card, nothing came out of the nozzle.

Following the general trouble shooting, I tried to raise temperature to 260, but that only made the nozzle "bleed" during pause... still nothing came out while printing.

So please aide me, I'm sure this is a breeze for you experinced folks, but for a greenpea like me, it is not straight forward!

Thank you very much!

NB. Using the PLA from the box.

Kind regards Taras

Hi Taras,

Welcome to the forum ;)

As this is the first use of the printer i think we can probably rule out a clogged nozzle.

What can be is that the filament was grinded a bit during the material insertion, maybe try to change the material, check how the filament looks like, if you see anything abnormal (really flatten of a portion of filament that was grinded) cut the filament and insert the filament again.

One thing i didn't understand the first time is that when you insert the filament, it goes very slowly, you don't have to wait until the filament has reached the head to go to the next step. Once you see the filament arriving in the bowden (on top of the feeder), click the control button and it will speed up.

If you have trouble getting the filament out (might happen if stuck in the bowden), try to pull it by hand when the feeder is running backwards (to pull it out).

Hi Didier

Thanks!

Currently I still feel like a kid on Christmas evening having opened all my presents to early :)

I did not wait for it to slowly feed the fillament, I followed the step by step description all the way when setting it up, inkluding speeding up the feeding after the material was feeded to the bowden.

I tried doing the 'amomic cleaning' two times, but still experienced the same.... that was before I posted.

After that I tried cleaning it again and changed filament to a blue PLA, and then it started printing - not sure what is wrong with the black roll I got along with the UM2, as it looked normal?!

Anyways I loaded my model (6 hours print time in high quality), and left it after 2 hours, and it was still printing - great!

But when I got back to it this morning, it had stopped halfway through, and there was just a big chunk of PLA right under the nozzle, the heat was still 220/60, the bed was right under the nozzle and the fans at full speed... so back to being concerned/doubtfull!

What could be the reason for this?

Now I've done a new atomic cleaning, altered the model to low quality, and started it again.... hopefully with more succes.

...I would really like to get a my first piece printed without anymore hazzle!!!

Kind regards Taras

Maybe the print detached from the build plate?

I would advise practicing with small prints at first to understand the print settings (temperature and speed mainly).

And monitoring the prints too, you will be able to leave your printer unattended when you are sure of what you're doing :)

Concerning the black roll is it PLA? I guess it's from Ultimaker?

The print didn't detach, I actually had a hard time trying to remove it.

It was a pretty small print (25x15x100mm) it just took so long because I set it to high quality.

I was monitoring it but thought that since 1/3 was done, it would be safe to let it complete.

Anyways, just got my first print in low quality, and though it is low quality, it was a succes :)

Yes all my materials are from Ultimaker, ordered it along the printer.

Do you know a good reference to a guide about controlling speed and temperature versus print quality and complexity, or is that just something thats based on learning-by-doing for everyone?

And thank you, thank you very much for taking time to aide a newbie like me, it is much appreciated!

Kind regards Taras

No problem :) when i arrived on this forum a lot of people helped me it's normal that my acquired knowledge is given to the new comers... in a couple of weeks maybe you'll be helping :)

You can take a look a these excellent links for help:

trouble shooting guide:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide

Getting better prints:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/30-getting-better-prints

The print didn't detach, I actually had a hard time trying to remove it.

It was a pretty small print (25x15x100mm) it just took so long because I set it to high quality.

I was monitoring it but thought that since 1/3 was done, it would be safe to let it complete.

Anyways, just got my first print in low quality, and though it is low quality, it was a succes :)

Yes all my materials are from Ultimaker, ordered it along the printer.

Do you know a good reference to a guide about controlling speed and temperature versus print quality and complexity, or is that just something thats based on learning-by-doing for everyone?

And thank you, thank you very much for taking time to aide a newbie like me, it is much appreciated!

Kind regards Taras

Hi Taras,

Thank you for your posts.

In this case (and in almost every other case) it is extremely helpful if you can upload some pictures.

We, as experienced users, may see something which you don't recognize as a sign or perhaps the other way around.

Have you checked if the black reel is PLA or ABS?

It is not necessary to do an Atomic Method every time a print fails, that is only necessary when your extrusion stops and the problem lies not with the feeder, i.e. even by pushing filament through manually nothing extrudes.

Good luck printing!