Opening file in Explorer, Email or Browser often doesn't open in CURA

jweaver

Posted · Opening file in Explorer, Email or Browser often doesn't open in CURA

Ever since I started using CURA, i found a niggling problem and just wonder if anyone has a solution

When you open an STL file from Windows Explorer, Email or a Browser, it often doesn't load into CURA.

Generally if CURA is closed, and you open a file, it will launch CURA, and the STL will open.. But generally if you open a file outside of CURA after this it doesn't open.

But its not always the case.. SOMETIMES it opens.. Any idea why its intermittent?

Jon

Yep.. I have CURA running on 3 PCs and they all work the same...

Let me try this now at work..

- Cura is not running

- In Windows Explorer I double clikc on an STL file

- Cura opens

- Model is shown

- Now in the window , I double click on another STL file

- Model is shown

- Again in the window I double click on another STL file

- Nothing appears

- I then delete the 2 models which are open (so CURA now has nothing open)

- Again double clicking on a file does open in CURA.

This behavour is constantly reproducable.. I assumed it was the same for everyone.

Jon

Just tried it and it seems i have a similar behaviour

First double click on a STL starts Cura and loads the model

Second double click loads the model in the already started Cura

Third double click nothing happens

But for me if i clear the build plate and try again it doesn't load in Cura... maybe there's a limit of objects loaded that way? Only Daid could tell i guess

Just tried it and it seems i have a similar behaviour

First double click on a STL starts Cura and loads the model

Second double click loads the model in the already started Cura

Third double click nothing happens

But for me if i clear the build plate and try again it doesn't load in Cura... maybe there's a limit of objects loaded that way? Only Daid could tell i guess

Sorry.. I made a typo..

My last line should have read

Again double clicking on a file does NOT open in CURA.

So it looks like we see the same thing.. CURA allows 2 files to be opened.. And then will not allow any more until its restarted..

Ok so same behaviour that makes more sense :mrgreen: i was trying to reload desperately after the second attempt :mrgreen:

Ok so same behaviour that makes more sense :mrgreen: i was trying to reload desperately after the second attempt :mrgreen:

Sorry.. Completely me fault for missing a word out.. Now I come to think about it, this is exactly the behavour I see.. I think that in any given "session" CURA allows you to open 2 files outside of the app.

Daid.. is this fixed in an RC load? Want me to try it to confirm that its fixed?

Daid.. is this fixed in an RC load? Want me to try it to confirm that its fixed?

Building an RC right now. I'm also changing a bit in my build environment. So this is the first test with those changes in there (less manual steps for building a release)

Building an RC right now. I'm also changing a bit in my build environment. So this is the first test with those changes in there (less manual steps for building a release)

I will gladly test.. Where are the RC versions hosted?

Probably here:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Not the current version i guess because built the 16th of october.

Daid will this version correct the bug with unusable plugins?

Probably here:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Not the current version i guess because built the 16th of october.

Daid will this version correct the bug with unusable plugins?

Yes, RC5 is up there, should fix plugin problems, and most likely the file loading problems.

Yes, RC5 is up there, should fix plugin problems, and most likely the file loading problems.

Hi Daid.. RC5 appears to be broken.. I notice that it keeps the same config from previous releases, which is nice (although unexpected).. It doesn't slice (the progress bar under the print button doesn't even appear, let alone start).. And if I select Layer View it crashes.

Jon

No problems here. RC5 works as it should, including layer view...

I have the same behaviour as jweaver

Aha... might be a problem with the ini files. I actually renamed the version folder within the .Cura folder of my user account from 14.10RC4 to 14.10RC5 before starting Cura 14.10RC5 the first time...

Where are these ini files?

I uninstalled all previous versions and still no slicing :(

Ok found it

And the output.txt is there too:

Failed to create directory: C:\Users\kledid\.cura\?

Failed to write profile file: C:\Users\kledid\.cura\?\current_profile.ini

Failed to create directory: C:\Users\kledid\.cura\?

Failed to write preferences file: C:\Users\kledid\.cura\?\preferences.ini

I have the same behaviour as jweaver

Which OS?

(Note this is the first version where I used a different build process for the windows version, so that might be causing some issues right now. But it makes it easier for me to build versions)

Windows 7 PRO 64 bits

I am using Win7 Enterprise Edition.. I have looked at my users folder and 14.10-RC5 is there complete with the Ini/txt files.. I have copied them from my old version (14.09). And also deleted them... But still no slicing for me!

Slicing is broken, it's missing a few dlls that I need because of a change in compilers. Will update ASAP.

Uploaded a new RC5, same as before except for the missing dlls, and newer firmware builds (something else I was working on)

Working better now.. Cheers.

I have been playing with a Plugin today to "pause" the print.. And found that if I use it twice in the same job (AT 2 different points), the GCODE is wrong and I get both bits of pause "code" inside each other...

But in RC5, it now seems to work.. Is this expected?

I have been playing with a Plugin today to "pause" the print.. And found that if I use it twice in the same job (AT 2 different points), the GCODE is wrong and I get both bits of pause "code" inside each other...

But in RC5, it now seems to work.. Is this expected?

Ignore that.. Just tried again in 14.09 and its working.. Looks like I have encounted a little bug (either in CURA or the Plugin).. Need to do a bit more testing...