Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
bob-hepple

Colour Fab Pla

Hi everyone

While I'm new to 3d printing I started off with the original UM gold and I usually print at 180 and get very clean and sharp small parts with a bed temp of 60 no problems on small easily printed parts with no overhangs.

Now I used all the gold and purchased Colour Fab white and black pla and started printing at 190 and 200 with fans on full I don't know why I suddenly went from 180 to 190 and up, I think it was because I was told 180 was way to low BUT since I started to print with white and black my surface finishes are not good loads of threads even with fans on full the black just looks like toffee textured (not brown)

Are there discrepancies between hardware measuring temps between machines , so on my machine 180 might be 190 on another, I never thought just changing colour would be so drastic.

I do find differences in the manufacturers of the PLA bob, aswell as differences with colours. More likely that than the machines. My typical temp is around 195-200. Just bought some colourfab bronzefill :)

Yes there are a lot of differences between filaments brands and even colours of the same brand...

You can print with colorfabb at 190°c but in case you print small layers 0.1mm or less and slow (30mm/s) if you want to print faster you can go up (way up) i sometimes print colorfabb at 240°c usually at 230 or 220°c

even between spools (over months) it can be different - you just need to get to know each filament - some string more than others. I generally print colorfabb pla/pha at 215 for the first layer to bond to glass, and 208 for a fairly fast print with few cross movements and 204 for something slower where stringing might be an issue. - but some of the clear colours need a higher temp - add 10 degrees.

colour change I have never seen - unless it is old filament in the nozzle - but that would run out fairly soon.

filament does age too - I find year old filament is much fussier and breaks if I leave it in the printer overnight - so I have tried to come up with things to print with these rolls that are 'disposable :))