Cura 14.11-RC7 testing

Daid

Posted · Cura 14.11-RC7 testing

Is anyone else finding RC8 'unstable'? It keeps crashing on me.

There is a bit of a background.. Until today I have been running my Printer off an old laptop.. CURA has been fine, but crashes occasionally (Showing "not responding").. But generally its stable.

Today I finally moved my printer into my office and am now using my "main" PC.. .I decided to start right away with 14.11-RC8 and its crashed on me 4 times already today (showing "Not Responding").. I have now gone back to 14.09 (which I have been using for months on my laptop) and its been fine with no crashes.

Anyone found any problems with 14.11? Or could it be that I am just suffering some teething problems with this "new" setup?

Most likely that's the problem then. I got some more reports from internal tests that plugins cause random hangs. So that's something I'm investigating.

Most likely that's the problem then. I got some more reports from internal tests that plugins cause random hangs. So that's something I'm investigating.

Cheers.. I will do a few tests to see if I can nail it down...

I think I found the problem and fixed it. It's still the memory error which happened because I kept a reference to the old and new gcode when running plugins (doubling the memory requirements)

I think I found the problem and fixed it. It's still the memory error which happened because I kept a reference to the old and new gcode when running plugins (doubling the memory requirements)

Cheers Daid.. Let me know if this appears in a RC and I will give it a test.

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

Updated RC, quite possibly fixing the plugin problems.

Hi Daid,

I always forgot to report a very small problem which I think is appeared starting from 14.09 ...

When you choose to save to your GCode on the disk (File -> Save GCode) the proposed directory (field Where) is still the same (on OS X ~/Documents) and doesn't remember the previously selected folder as was up to 14.07.

Obviously is not a big problem, but ... ;)

Guglielmo

Hi Daid,

just installed the firmware that is included into the 14.12-RC9 and made a print.

The model is printed correctly, the bed is lowered, but, instead of indicating the temperature and cooling I received this error message :

Error while

reading

SD-card!

Code:0

... mmm ... error code zero ... I don't think is an error ;)

Guglielmo

... Also the "Change Material" doesn't work well ... at the end you can't choose PLA or ABS but ... only another material ;)

Moving back to the firmware 14.07 :D:D:D

Guglielmo

Its not looking good.. Installed RC9 and in the space of 2 mins, it crashed 3 times with "(Not Responding)".. I didn't even print.. I just loaded a few objects and moved them around

Interestingly it seemed to happen either when I hit the "load" button.. Or double clicked on an STL file..

Jon

Make that 4 times.. And the last one had nothing to do with loading.. I just clicked on an object on the bed and it crashed..

I think its still to do with "plugins".. I am suing "Tweak At Z 3.2" to change temperature at 1mm..

I disabled the plugin.. And have then managed to "play" with CURA for a good few mins with no problems.. But then I enabled the plugin again and within a few moves, it crashed.

I notice that when the Plugin tab is open, you can see the plugin "refresh" as you move objects.. And just before it crashed the plugin went blank...

So I am pretty sure there is still a problem wtih Plugin support..

I think I have reproduced it... For me I can get it to crash every time if I do the following

1. Load CURA (14.12.RC9)

2. Have the "tweak At Z 3.2" plugin enabled (I have mine set to 1mm Layer and 185 degrees"

3. Load an object

Note that the Plugin 'refreshes' when the object loads

4. Now load another object by double clicking in Windows (I am using Win7 by the way)

Note that the Plugin now refreshes TWICE.. And the 2nd time it now shows blank words/values

5. CURA now crashes if you do anything...

I hope you can reproduce this.. I will try in work tomorrow when I am near another PC.

I have confirmed the same behavour in work (Also running Win7)

One interesting point is that at Step 5, CURA still works.. You can still move stuff about, but if you do certain tasks (such as click on the Advanced tab) it crashes.

So this (hopefully) should be easy to fix as I can reproduce it every time.

Jon

Also.. If its any help, I have confirmed the behavior with ANY Plugin (and it doesn't matter what values you enter into the plugin)... As long as there is one 'enabled' this happens every time.. If there isn't one, then CURA does not crash.

Daid. Have you seen my comments above?

Daid. Have you seen my comments above?

Yes. Been sick. Just better now.

About the UM2 firmware bugs. Yes, those crawled in there with some changes I did. Fixing them right now.

Going to check the odd plugin tab behaviour right now. As that should not happen, and can really cause issues.

Ah, I see what's causing the bug now. It's updating the plugin panel from a different thread, which is not allowed. Easy fix.

(I'll build a new RC)

Cheers.. Will test right away.. I am pretty sure this is the same thing i saw in RC8 and RC9 but only found the root cause in the later.

Pretty sure this bug has been around for a long time. But with the fix for double clicking on files, it suddenly became more visible.

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

RC10 is up.

Couldnt reproduce it in 14.09 but as you say, the "double click" bug was there.

But i could still open a couple of files with a plugin enabled and had no crash..

Thanks for fixing this so quickly.. Will test right away.

Sorry Daid.. 2 steps forwards.. 1 back.. Now tye "Double Click" loading is broken again.

You can open CURA and load the FIRST model with a double click... But you cant open a 2nd.. So its now worse than 14.09 as you could open 2 files in that version.