Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
twentyten

UM2 Installation Issues

Hi!

So we've started to install our UM2 this afternoon. All the steps went well, but everything goes horribly wrong from step D3 "Loading filament material"

We've put in the filament as described, pushing it in when it was being grabbed by the knurled wheel, but from that point it stuck inside the material feeder. It's making a ticking noise. As we were a bit shocked, we've decided to put the UM2 off. Turning it on again made us do all the first installation steps again. We did that, but when we arrived at D3 again, we're stuck with the same problem.

So please help us out, what can we do to get the filament out? Also, how can we not walk through all the installation steps again after we've put the UM2 out.

Thanks in advance!

Hi TwentyTen,

Welcome to the forum.

Did you try pushing the filament by hand to help it a bit? You have to push it quite "hard" to make it enter between the bearing and the feeder wheel. Once it's entered it should carry the filament with no problems.

The ticking isn't someting to be worried about. Its basicly the sound your stepper (the motor pushing the material in) makes when it's not able to deliver enough power.

If I have to make a guess, the fillament got stuck before it could enter the tube. Try bending it a bit more flat (it's usually a bit rounded because its on a spool) and try again.

seeing your picture, i think that nallath has the correct answer.

The filament is probably blocked before the entrance of the bowden tube.

Either try to help the feeder to push the filament by hand (when doing the load filament).

Or pull it out (with the um2 shut down), cut the filament and try to straighten it a bit before reloading it.