German RepRap - Printbox working with my Ultimaker?

kilian

Posted · German RepRap - Printbox working with my Ultimaker?

hi,

i don't knew if its working. but it seems little bit expensive.

i'm running on my mendel the astrobox, from astoprint.com

it working wireless and it's possible to attach a webcam to make pictures while printing.

regards

Teddy

Teddy,

I was not aware of the astrobox.

Do you know where they are located?

If I pay custom then it's aprox. the same price as the printbox from German RepRap.

I beleive the printbox can handle wireless and webcams, too.

Who sells the Astrobox in Europe?

Kilian

• 2 weeks later...

I was using Octoprint with a Raspberry Pi on my old printer, didn't try it on my UM2, but both Ultimaker printers are https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Supported-Printers as compatible. Total cost with a Rasperry Pi and a 1,5 Amp USB power supply is about 40 Euros, 65 if you buy the Raspi Camera module. I'm using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:427546 case right now and am really satisfied. You can upload files, print, create timelaps videos, monitor your print via Browser, App or even Synology Diskstation, in case you have one.

There is an https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mariogrip.octoprint for Octoprint. I'd recommend Octopi, it's an image that includes all required settings. If you need wireless LAN then you need to connect via SSH once.

Teddy,

If I pay custom then it's aprox. the same price as the printbox from German RepRap.

Kilian

hey,

it's an amerian company, and i got only the software for the raspberry, it working good but my printer doesn't like to work for me in the moment.

www.astroprint.com is the page

Teddy,

Kilian

Hi Teddy,

I'm one of the founders of AstroPrint. Though we deliver to a fair amount of kickstarter backers in Europe (and I'm European myself), we currently don't sell the AstroBox in any European retailers.

However It's pretty easy to get a RPi or PcDuino board and create your own by downloading our software image.

Simply create your free account and go to https://www.astroprint.com/downloads

Let me know if you have any questions!

How is this different from octoprint?

I don't know, but I guess it uses octoprint packaged in a box. They told me that the box is sold out. The next shippment will be in January.

Cloud slicing i guess which i don't see the use, octoprint isn't that hard to install and use ;)

Octoprint's web GUI is not mobile friedly at all, I totally forgot about Astroprint since it started on Kickstarter. Is anyone using it with an UM2?

Didn't try it but there's an android version for octoprint:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.moritz_zander.android.octoapp

AstroPrint is a plug-and-play solution. There's no need to fiddle with linux or install anything. If you buy the box, simply plug it into your printer's usb port. If using a RPi, simply download our SD Card image, plug a usb wifi module and that's it.

We are also backed by an online service that allows you to store, slice (cura & slic3r) and organize design and print files. We also allow you to use a camera to do remote monitoring, cancel or pause your prints remotely. All of this with no need to configure network holes in firewalls and whatnot. You can use this, by way for free without the need to purchase a box.

Finally, we have built a system to work with printer manufacturers to maintain an ideal pre-sets for their printers. With our system, we're getting pretty close to a 3-settings print (printer, material, quality). Of course, we also allow you to tweak every single cura or slic3r settings.

Does this answer your question?