Infill too thin - SOLVED

superflyguy1973

Posted · Infill too thin - SOLVED

Having spent a day or tow trying to get my abs to stick to the bed,

I have gone with details from guys who print lots of stuff, so 230c bed 110c print speed 100 .25 Layer height, and using very thin abs juice on kapton, holds great, I worked out very quickly

To never use the fan when printing abs, as it distorts very quickly, my first small print had was a knob at 0.1 layer height speed 50 the infill was great measures about .5 thick

But I tried to print a Handel for the ultimaker at the suggested 25% fill and 100mm/s speed

But the infill is extremely thin they measure .26 thick and the whole layer failed at around layer 50 ish, any help please.

You seem to be printing incredibly fast and cool?? 0.25mm layers at 100mm/s is 10mm^3/s - which is pretty much right at the limits of what an Ultimaker can do - with PLA at least. ABS probably behave a little bit differently in terms of extrusion rates/ You might just about be able to print PLA at that speed at temperature, but it won't be pretty. But ABS generally requires much higher temperatures, and 230 is the lower end of the print temp range for that - so combined with the very high extrusion rate, I'm not surprised that you're getting some under-extrusion and print failures.

I'd definitely go hotter and/or cooler to avoid pressure-related under-extrusion. See here for details of how the Ultimaker Original handles PLA at as you increase the extrusion rate:

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/04/18/exploring-extrusion-variability-and-limits/

I'm printing with abs. So if I understand. I should increase the resolution

To 0.1 x 0.4 nozzle at 100mm/s = 4mm/s3 or keep at 0.25 and lower the speed to 40

Which gives the same so the ultimaker std setting of 0.1 layer height x 0.4 nozzle at default 50mm/s. Gives us a 2mm3/s well within a safe margin and keep the 230c for abs.

But if I need to increase the speed I'll need to make the nozzle hotter,

I dint relies I was right on the edge of the machines capabilities, it did reasonably well considering.

Problem Fixed 1

Problem Fixed 3

UPDATE : Problem has been fixed, The main cause was, I didn't understand that at 100mm/s which is an average speed.

if you choose to make your layer height just 0.2mm then the machine would be printing at the absolute max it can cope with. so I use the new settings of

Layer height 0.1 Speed 100mm/s = 4mm3/m or

Layer height 0.2 Speed 50mm/s = 4mm3/m

Both take around 6.5hr to print the handle, There was a little piece of dirt in the Bowden tube,

it's now printing great,