entomophile

Is this a dirty nozzle

Posted · Is this a dirty nozzle

I performed an atomic clean after a lousy print with some bad under extrusion. Whenever I do it, the filament comes out with a couple of dimples like in the picture. Is this normal, or is the nozzle still dirty?

atomic clean

By dimples do you mean the two holes in the filament?

Except that it looks pretty clean to me, i wonder how the two holes appeared tough

Yes, I mean the two holes. There is one on the other side as well. I can't tell if they just appear as the filament stretches as I remove it, or maybe there is something in the nozzle. But I would expect if there was something in the nozzle, the holes would look like lines as I pulled the filament out over the obstruction. Or maybe it's voids in the filament? It is MatterHackers Pro Series PLA which I think is pretty good stuff. The outer surface of the filament is perfect.

Yes i would assume the same as you, if it was something in the nozzle causing the holes you would not be able to pull it out with out deforming them... never seen this before. Does it happen every time?

I believe it happens every time, even with other brands of filament. I still have the scraps from past cleanings. I don't have access to them now, but I'll post pictures later today.

Ditto; never seen it and yes a scrape rather than a hole is more logical. We probably need a materials expert to answer this one.