Plugin bug in 15.01-RC3 and maybe 14.12 too.

jweaver

Posted · Plugin bug in 15.01-RC3 and maybe 14.12 too.

I am using the "Pause At Height" plugin, which in 14.09 worked flawlessly.

But today I am trying it in 15.0RC1, and it initially works, and then stops.

If i set to 0.1mm layers (just for easy maths), and then use the "Pause At Height" plugin at 1mm.. When I wait to the Toolpath appears, I can see the blue line move off a layer 8 (not sure why not 10, but thats not the issue)

If I then move the piece.. Or rotate it.. Or something.. And then wait, the 'pause' is never shown.. The object is sliced and the Plugin apparantly ignored.

I tried with 14.12 and it seems to work better.. But after a few re-slices it stopped.

Then I went back to 14.09 and it works every time...

Considering that you had some plugin issues after 14.09, I wonder if this is a remnant of those issues?

Jon

It appears that 14.12 and 15.01 are the same.. If I load "FIrst Cube" and play around, I can pause at any layer. And it works first time, ever time.

But if I load something more complicated.. The pause doesn't happen..

If I restart CURA.. And load the object again, sometimes it works the FIRST time, but if I re-slice it, it stops.

It just seems that in 14.12 onwards, the Pause plugin is simply ignored, for anything more than a very simple object.

If plugins are 'ignored' it's usually a runtime error with a plugin. Please follow this procedure:

- run Cura

- adjust the settings for your print (including the plugin) and let Cura slice it

- close Cura

- go to the Cura install folder

- delete 'output.txt'

- run Cura again

- slice your model

- close Cura

- post the 'output.txt' here (if it has more than 30 lines, please post only the last about 30 lines!)

- wait for an answer... ;)

The only Output file I can find is under c:\users\Cura, called "Output_log.txt"

And it shows nothing:

Listening for engine communications on 49674

Closing down

"Pause at Height".. The one which comes bundled...

It seems to work fine on a simple model.. But as soon as you load something a little more complexed (not much I have to say) it just stops working....

Could someone do a quick test and verify the behavior?

Jon

I have just loaded a fairly small model (100K) and set it to 1mm layers (just to make the maths easy)..

If I then choose a random "Pause At Height" value, and then look at the layer view for it, the 'pause' simply doens't happen.

If I then go back to 14.09 its fine.. So unless there is something wrong at my end, this should be an obvious fault.

Seems it's the plugin itself combined with the firmware. I know about an issue with the pauseatz plugin but I have no idea wether it is solved or not. Daid certainly knows it...he also is the author of the pauseatz plugin.

But in general plugins seem to work fine with your Cura version.

Firmware? I am not even trying to print.. I am just looking at the Layer view in CURA..

When its working, you can see the blue line shoot off to the co-ordinates you set.. But when its not, the plugin appears to do nothing...

It's actually a viewing bug. I managed to trigger it a few time with testing. But I can see the plugin actually runs, but that I do not see the result in the viewer. But the pause is in the gcode when I save it.

The way trigger this is by having the layer view open while slicing. If you go to the object view, slice, and then switch to the layer view, the result is shown properly, if you are in layer view before the slicing is finished, the gcode is loaded before the plugins are run and you'll see the wrong result.

It's actually a viewing bug. I managed to trigger it a few time with testing. But I can see the plugin actually runs, but that I do not see the result in the viewer. But the pause is in the gcode when I save it.

The way trigger this is by having the layer view open while slicing. If you go to the object view, slice, and then switch to the layer view, the result is shown properly, if you are in layer view before the slicing is finished, the gcode is loaded before the plugins are run and you'll see the wrong result.

Doh.. That explains why I found that it initially worked and then stops.. Clearly the more I tested it, the worse it got, as I was in the layer view whilst it was slicing whilst obsessing over this.

I have now let it slice and then switched to the layer view, and can see the "pause".

So panic over.. Its not a big deal.

Cheers.

So panic over.. Its not a big deal.

And fix is in place for next version (and next beta, current beta does not have this fix yet)

And fix is in place for next version (and next beta, current beta does not have this fix yet)

Awesome work.. Thanks Daid!