Does anyone use filament made on a filament extruder?

ggalisky

Posted · Does anyone use filament made on a filament extruder?

I am still waitng for my UM2, and I have 2 Filastruders Link:http://filastruder.com, and I make all of my own 1.75mm filament for my current printer. I have just started working with 2.85 on my extruders, and was wondering if there was anyone else out there that uses a filament extruder in conjunction with their UM2 or UMO(+).

Also, if I make filament that is aorund 2.70mm with +or- tolerances of 0.05mm, would that work well with the UM2?

How is that Filastruder working out? I feel the idea and technology could be very interesting, but I do not have a clue whether it is mostly an intriguing idea or actually a really functional option.

How is that Filastruder working out? I feel the idea and technology could be very interesting, but I do not have a clue whether it is mostly an intriguing idea or actually a really functional option.

In general, at home filament extrusion is in its infancey, and there is a learning curve similar to learning how to build/use a reprap/ 3Dprinter. That being said once you figure out what your doing, you can make spool after spool of quality filament for $8/kg for ABS and around $12/kg for PLA. Having your own extruder also allows you to control what goes into to your filament. No more worrying about cloging your hotend (as long as you have a filter installed in the extruder) You also have a high degree over control of colors. Also, you can make whatever diamenter you need (1.75mm or 2.85mm). Your not limited to PLA or ABS either. I have extruded PP, PC, Nylon, TPE, TPU, and Acrylic, but I do not know if the UM2 can handle PC. You can see some of my work with the Filastruder at this link:http://www.soliforum.com/forum/23/diy-filament-materials/. The cost of pelltets for experimaental materials is cheap too. I want to try some of color fabs pellets, but with the purchase of my UM2 I need to be a bit more frugal.