second layer print issues

manny

Posted · second layer print issues

Hi.

I recently got the Ultimaker 2. Never used a 3d printer before and i'm still trying to work out all the kinks.

Right now I have my layer height at 0.1 mm, shell thickness at 0.8mm, bottom/ top thickness at 0.6mm, fill density at 15%, print speed at 30mm/s, nozzle size at 0.4mm and the temperature at 213C.

Every time i print, the first layer comes out fine, but once the second layer starts printing, the extruded plastic keeps hitting the nozzle and doesn't come out straight. Instead there are a bunch of little bits of plastic sticking out of each layer as the nozzle runs into more and more deformed plastic. The link below is a video showing the problem. It starts at around the 35 second mark.

Not sure how to fix this. I don't believe it to be a calibration issue since i have done that twice since i got it last 4 days ago.

Thanks for any help :)

Posted · second layer print issues

The first layer is not ok. The problem starts there. You should relevel the bed (just use the three thumb screws). The bed should be closer to the nozzle. The lines have to have a flat top and must not have the slightest gap anywhere. Most probably the issues on the second layer will then magically disappear.