estimated time and material

alaris2

Posted · estimated time and material

I've been watching the estimated time on Cura which was fairly accurate previously, but is now woefully wrong. I just had an estimated 1hr 30 print take 2hr 45 mins.

I think i've narrowed it down to the dwindle setting - switching this on seems to be causing the problem.

the amount of material is also puzzling me - why if I leave all settings the same but change just the print speed, can I make an object in weight ? the length of material remains the same, the time decreases (as expected).

The time is mostly wrong when the printer has to make a lot of small moves, due to acceleration these take more time then calculated by Cura. (In general, I seem to get 25% more time spend in the print then estimated, but I've had a 3 hour estimate take 6 hours!)

Not sure what you are saying about the material amount...

What he's saying is that the estimated amount of material changes when he modifies the speed setting in the "settings" menu before slicing.

I too have a question about the amount of material: How accurate is this supposed to be? I was thinking: Very accurate. But I'm still getting objects that are significantly lighter than expected.

The length should be pretty accurate, unless your filament slips. The weight is guessed by filament diameter and the density preference which is 1300 kg/m3 for PLA, and you need to set it to 1040 for ABS.

However, I do not have a scale, so I've never actually checked the results :p

As for the material amount changing if you change the speed. Skeinforge has some inaccuracies which might cause some slight fluctuations, but I wouldn't expect big changes.