Blocked nozzle, Teflon damaged?

jcoutts

Posted · Blocked nozzle, Teflon damaged?

Hi Guys,

So I have been having horrible underextrusion problems, and my stepper motor has been skipping. Tried cleaning my nozzle, different settings, different temperatures, atomic methods. Basically have tried most things.

Finally today I was like ok, I need to take the nozzle apart and see whats going on. Well I did and my suspicion might be correct, but I was wondering if you could answer.

Does this Teflon piece look damaged to you or is this normal when its been printing for a while.

Also I had an episode happen when I was doing the atomic method and it started smoking and puffing out. Then a bunch of black carbonized stuff came out.

Also as a side note when I push the filament through the teflon piece, it catches on the black ring and causes friction.

Any help would be awesome!

Here are some of my atomic pulls and the teflon piece I just took apart

IMAG0965

IMAG0965

IMAG0989

IMAG0990

IMAG0986

Also here is what the actual extrude head looks like. It was suprising to see so much gunk on the bottom. But as for the inside of the actual tip, I can see straight through IE a tiny hole of light, but there is a lot of dark around the edges. Is that normal, or should I clean it?

Thanks,

Josh

IMAG0994

IMAG0998

IMAG1001

You need to clean it.

Could you provide a clear picture of the inside of the teflon coupler? At the top there be a small identantion (inwards) where the filament expands. That's what causes the barbed hook like structure on the filament when you pull it out.

Acetone is only useful if you printed with ABS but it wouldn't hurt. Try to submerge it in acetone so it gets to the inside of the nozzle.

About the teflon piece - no idea how to clean it. Normally I'd buy another on the Ultimaker store. An (untested) idea would be to cut off the bad part from the teflon piece. Be careful to not cut that much so that the piece will be too short. I absolutely has to make contact with the nozzle. That's why there is a spring there because the teflon piece must form one path for the filament leading straight to the nozzle.

Ok I'll try that, hopefully I can get it clean, I might try a deburing tool, too

Here is an answer about cleaning the nozzle. Didn't try it but the guy sounded like he knows what he is talking about :)

Thansk a lot. I cleaned it out the best I could and cleaned the teflon piece, Hopefully that fixes it a bit. Did you end up getting rid of that that black gunk that was stuck in your tip?

The black gung ist gone but the inside walls are still not clear. They still have darker patches.

I tried to print with the nozzle but I get massive underextrusion. But maybe something else is wrong and this is just a conincidence.

im sure you've already tried this but maybe i needle or piece of wire up the nozzle business end while it's hot? maybe something in there.

Thanks, tried it. I can clearly see through the nozzle (when held against a light source). It is completely free.

It looks like my Ultimaker is back up and running, Although I ended up cutting off that black ring that was on my teflon piece. The other thing I did was to get a very small drill and poke it through the nozzle tip. I always could see light at the other end, but after the drill, the light was much clearer with a bigger hole.

Careful with inserting stiff into the nozzle. Brass is rather soft and you might damage it.